Rear Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Springs

Yesterday I drove the Hawk into the Bronx and had my rear springs worked on. Guy has an amazing operation. 5 guys work on one car at a time, all of them do ONE thing. Then they lower the car, measure it's stance, raise it, adjust the leaves, lower it, measure it, raise it and button it up. One hour, $240 for everything.

Car has a new stance now which improved handling and visibilty as my rear springs were really shot. I was very surpised to find out that the shocks after 23 years were still as good as new. I gave the guy every chance to tell me I needed new shocks, but he said they were okay.

Did they have you set in the car? (or add weight there?)
    I used to throw some weightlifting weights on the floorboards to simulate my weight and a passengers weight.
    It does make a difference.
    Did'ja ever think that the five guys just wanted to be around a real car instead of a poopmobile that they normally see 99% of the time?
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Yesterday I drove the Hawk into the Bronx and had my rear springs worked on. Guy has an amazing operation. 5 guys work on one car at a time, all of them do ONE thing. Then they lower the car, measure it's stance, raise it, adjust the leaves, lower it, measure it, raise it and button it up. One hour, $240 for everything.

Car has a new stance now which improved handling and visibilty as my rear springs were really shot. I was very surpised to find out that the shocks after 23 years were still as good as new. I gave the guy every chance to tell me I needed new shocks, but he said they were okay.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

How do they "adjust the leaves"?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

And now I have to be the one to ask for pictures?

Well! Where's the pictures?

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

How do they "adjust the leaves"?
          They kept bring different leaves from the second floor and installing them until both sides of the car were the same height. They then removed the leaves that filled the bill and a fellow cut them to length, and then still using a cutting torch made locating holes for the tabs, or screws from the old leaves. I guess they have different thickness leaves and different archs.

Car rides do much better, and for the price you can't beat it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

They kept bring different leaves from the second floor and installing them until both sides of the car were the same height. They then removed the leaves that filled the bill and a fellow cut them to length, and then still using a cutting torch made locating holes for the tabs, or screws from the old leaves. I guess they have different thickness leaves and different archs.

Car rides do much better, and for the price you can't beat it.
            That's a great deal!

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

And now I have to be the one to ask for pictures?

Well! Where's the pictures?
              HERE

Before, with a trunk load of "stuff" and a full tank of gas the wheel well stainless was down over the tops of the wheel covers.

I am thinking that I might be too high now, but Andrea said he could adjust it if I wanted. Only thing left to do is re-adjust the headlights.

BG

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]Did they have you set in the car? (or add weight there?)
                I used to throw some weightlifting weights on the floorboards to simulate my weight and a passengers weight.
                It does make a difference.
                Jeff
                You know that Ellen carrying a copy of the Sunday New York Times under each arm, soaking wet weighs less than 115 lbs. She would not even move a scale if the car was on one.

Comment

Working...
                X