Help identifying this unusual manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying this unusual manifold

Does anyone know about Morgan Quademon intake manifolds? I found this unusual set up in a 1953 Commander Starlight in Sweden. The present owner of the car says a previous owner had "a racing guy" rebuild it for her (probably in the fifties or sixties). Can anyone tell the Morgan Quademon story? Also what kind of air cleaner set up is it?

Bengt
    1953 Commander Starliner
    Bengt Engwall
    1953 Commander Starliner

Jeepers, that looks like a blower air cleaner.

Best regards,

Paul
    Best regards,

Paul

Comment

Well, you see something new every day, don't you? I thought I had seen ALL of the aftermarket Stude speed parts, but this one stumps me. If it's a Euro manifold, how many do you think they made for STUDEBAKERS? Geesh, this must be one rare piece . . .

Comment

That looks very similar to an old Offy manifold, although I've never seen one that included the carb hat. Would love to see more! Is that an early Rochester 4bbl? At least on the Offys I think the carb hat mated to the original 2bbl air cleaner; yours looks similar but there's a lot more element area.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I don't have any info for you, but that is a very nifty set up...manifold and air cleaner. [^]

The manifold looks like it is set up for both the long, cross shaft hold downs and the later just plain bolts. I'd like it better with the old skool hold downs. [8D]

It's funny that the end bolts are being used even though it is on a '53. It must have a different engine and/or heads OR someone drilled and tapped the heads for the end bolts.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think its one of those MORGAN "Quademon" intakes from the late fifties. Like an EDELBROCK "Torker".

Comment

Morgan was the Lional Stone of the 40's and 50's in Marysville Calif. Mostly 6's but he had V8 stuff too.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Morgan was the Lional Stone of the 40's and 50's in Marysville Calif. Mostly 6's but he had V8 stuff too.
                Marysville was also the home of Stu-V products. Were they related?

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bengt Engwall
                  1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

Interesting manifold.

Someone said it's like a Offy manifold.....it's NOT even close.
                    Unfortunatly for us...it looks like a lot more engineering time was spent on that manifold. Nice long, large radius'd in all the corners, more even runner lengths.
                    And someone mentioned it's like an Edelbrock Torker...wrong again. A Torker is a single plane manifold, where this is a dual plane manifold.

It appears to be nicely done...espically for "when" it was made.

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I don't have any info for you, but that is a very nifty set up...manifold and air cleaner. [^]

The manifold looks like it is set up for both the long, cross shaft hold downs and the later just plain bolts. I'd like it better with the old skool hold downs. [8D]

It's funny that the end bolts are being used even though it is on a '53. It must have a different engine and/or heads OR someone drilled and tapped the heads for the end bolts.

Dick Steinkamp
                      It is surely a 1955 or later engine assembly, Dick, that would have had the end manifold hold-down bolts to begin with, in that the fuel pump is not on the oil filler pipe.

That said, perhaps the manifold was made to accomodate either early cross-tie hold downs, or the later hold-downs with four bolts per side, so it could be sold for either application.

As for the bonnet on top of the carburetor, it isn't a Studebaker unit, nor one from a 1957 312/300HP Ford car (non-Thunderbird). However, has anyone seen that bonnet piece for a 312/300HP 1957 Thunderbird?

I have not, so I am curious to know if it could be for the 1957 Ford Thunderbird 312/300 application. I don't really think it is, but "never say never." BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I did some work on a Morgan Champ six aluminum head and dual ace intake a year ago...
                        Never saw his 4bbl V8 intake before, but it sure looks nice.
                        Jeff[8D]
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Mike I meant in name only. That the quademon was to morgan as torker was to edelbrock. If I had to pick an edelbrock that was similar, I would have picked "performer". It seemed like people thought his name was "Morgan Quademon".

Comment

When was STU-V in Marysville? As far as I know it was in the Los Angelas area until we bought the name. Did John M. live there at one time?

David L
                            David L

Comment

John McKusic started and owned Stu-V at 3495 Pico Blvd. in L.A. until you and Chris Bankie bought him out, he kept on as Precision Machine and Tool till just a couple of years ago.

Motor Trend Mag. Dec. 1952

Comment

Working...
                              X