63 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 lark

the engine in the 63 is an r-1 i donot know if its org. 3-speed on columb. what carb. came on the r-1.it has a carter,is this 500 cfm or what? what is the model number of the carb. for the r-1. this is not a car i'm swaping any thing but it will not be org. but stude powered. i want to convert the r-1 to an r-4 beside the intake what else is different? i'm going to do the interior in tuck and roll. red with matching headliner. a set of chrome reverse with f60x15 on

front,g60-15 on rear. i pick it up next month my son has my trailer.

how are the alum. heads?they any good?would they work with the iron intake? i'm talking street duty/
    ?

Trust me you do not want to try to build an R4 engine for street use!

The R3/R4 Cast Iron Heads would be required which are not obtainable, if they could be found, the price would be in the neighborhood of $5000.00 a pair. The Aluminum ones are not perfected yet and most likely never will be. Yes you would need a large port dual 4 Brl. intake manifold also, and no cast iron ones are available. When and if you ever were all done, you would have a 280 H.P. un-streetable gas hog, that would be beaten by any good running R1 or 290 H.P. plus, Supercharged R2!
    And the compression req'd to obtain 280 H.P. would be at least 11.0 to 1 and would require 110 octane leaded race gas at $7.00 a gallon.

I am really not trying to discourage you from building a fast Stude. but FYI, this is definitely NOT the way to do it! There are many improvements you could do to your R1 Jet Thrust or Avanti R1 engine.

I think if I wanted to impress people with the look of a Dual Quad Stude. V-8, I would have to tow it around with a Hybrid Electric, because there is no way I could afford to drive the thing. [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

from what you tell me studebaker really didn't do there homework when they made the r-4? they only made one? i like multi carb setups have several for y-blocks and they work real good once setup. i shy away from supercharger set ups,again parts and set up.its hard to find a f-code y-block that still has the s/c on it.only restored cars seem to have them. or raceers. is the after market alum. intake any better than the org. cast iron? alot of questions to be asked in the research stage. trying to reduce weight.one more thing what cfm were the carters on the r-4?if it was a race only then they really missed the boat.in the car life art. the quarter mile time was 15.01.that is sorry.i would expect that out of a 2=barrel,single exhaust,auto,272 in a 57 ford.

Comment

It wasn't that they didn't do their homework - the R4 option was really not meant for the street. It was meant as a factory drag racing package, like the Dodge Ramcharger or Pontiac Super Duty package options. Not really streetable, and not meant to be.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotrodstude

from what you tell me studebaker really didn't do there homework when they made the r-4? they only made one? i like multi carb setups have several for y-blocks and they work real good once setup. i shy away from supercharger set ups,again parts and set up.its hard to find a f-code y-block that still has the s/c on it.only restored cars seem to have them. or raceers. is the after market alum. intake any better than the org. cast iron? alot of questions to be asked in the research stage. trying to reduce weight.one more thing what cfm were the carters on the r-4?if it was a race only then they really missed the boat.in the car life art. the quarter mile time was 15.01.that is sorry.i would expect that out of a 2=barrel,single exhaust,auto,272 in a 57 ford.
          Ford, GM and Chrysler had money. Studebaker did not. There is no such thing as a light Studebaker V8. These are not 500 HP engines unless you want to invest in turbos. Or you can put a two-barrel 272 Y block engine in it and really go fast.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

A real R-1 engine in a Studebaker should not not have any trouble with a Ford 272 Y block engine or even the 312 in stock form, put a set or R-3 headers good 2 1/4 inch exhaust, and a good carb. and you should be happy to run around town, if you really want to race find a nice built up Hemi engine....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

People forget that in the early sixties, there were no wide tires. You couldn't blast off the line. You had to feather it and nurse it up to speed, unless you had a set of cheater slicks. That's why the factories didn't concentrate on street racers; no traction. And they didn't expect folks to run slicks on the street. That's why Studebaker and ford and a few others had second gear start transmissions. Because you couldn't use the engine's potential anyways. Same reason for having the six cyl with the first gear start, because you COULD use all of the mighty champ's power.

Comment

Working...
              X