Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Do 1957 Silver Hawk quarter panels bolt on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do 1957 Silver Hawk quarter panels bolt on?

I've completely stripped a 1957 Silver Hawk, except the rear quarter panels are still attached. Do these bolt on? Do I have to break welds (at rear of fender, above tail light)? It appears their are cap plugs located on the inside door edge (towards rear), but mine don't appear to want to pop out.

I would like to remove the rear quarter so I can clean and recoat the inside surface. I also would like to knock out one dent that I can't get to. Are these fairly easy to remove (I've already removed the front fenders).

Thanks, Mark

Mark Rogers

I think all the C & K rear fenders bolt on originally. Someone may have welded something during an earlier repair. The cap plugs in the door opening cover some of the bolts, some behind the interior side panel (if I remember correctly) and a couple underneath. Under the fins there should be a row of bolts.

Comment

Yes, they bolt on:

- 7? bolts on the top under the fin.
      - 3 bolts behind the hole plugs around the door latch.
      - 2 bolts behind the interior panel under the rear quarter window. Be glad you don't have a hardtop 'cuz the whole window assy has to come out to get at them in that case.
      - 2 bolts on the bottom in front of the rear tire: 1 right in front of the tire and the other one at the rear end of the rocker panel. These attach to speed nuts into the body supports.
      - 1 bolt on the bottom in back of the tire. Driver side one goes to the gas filler splash shield and the passenger side has a brace rod.
      - 2 or 3 small bolts under the tail lamp body.
      - Driver side has a screw visible when the filler door is open that goes from the fender into the splash shield "box".

I think thats all of them...

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Is there a trick to removing the cap plugs? I haven't blasted the paint off yet (at the cap plug), but I tried to pry one loose and it didn't want to give. So I quit, until I knew they could be removed.

Thanks much for the help.

Mark Rogers

Comment

Those plugs should pry right out. They look like this:

Either they are just stuck or someone has "done" something to them.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

In responsse to Jeff H. - It's been a long time, but I never removed the quarter windows on K body hardtops that I replaced the rear quarters on.
            In response to the question - YES and NO (unless someone has modified your Hawk).

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X