Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Carb. recommendation for 259 4bbl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb. recommendation for 259 4bbl.

57 Provincial 259 auto. has an old Holley 4bbl. that's probably 30 years old. Float sticks, etc. but shafts are worn, so I don't want to mess with it.

I'm looking for something that's as close to being a drop-on-and-go as possible, since this is my weakest area. The car is a completely stock driver for Linda; will be just light, occasional use. I'm not fussy about the choke- an automatic would be preferable, but I could even go with a manual if it's the better choice.

I've seen a 500 Edelbrock recommended a few times. I did a search but didn't come up with a definitive consensus for this type of application.

How about a model or part number? Same if a different brand is preferred?

In 24 years of racing I got away without ever learning much about carbs. I'd mostly put an engine in, fire it, and warm it up; then the guys that tune 'em would shove me aside since I was "only the driver"[:I] I could pester my techs to get it in the shop, but I'm hoping an old dog can learn new tricks[)]

Any help is appreciated.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

I've got the 500 Edelbrock on my 289, it was OK out of the box on the primaries but the secondaries are a little on the rich side and I haven't had a chance to dial it in yet. I'm pretty happy with it's road manners but if you don't drive it for a couple days the gas evaporates out of the bowls making it hard to start. I have seen numerous posts on other forums from people with the same complaint. The only real cure seems to be an electric fuel pump which I was going to install anyway because of a vapor lock problem.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

Bob- I'd contact "Rosstude" if I were you. He put an Edelbrock on his '57 Provincial, and he seemed pretty happy with it last time we talked. His old (2007) post about the install is on the Forum here somewhere, but all the photo links are dead. [xx(]
      I think you'll have to change intakes (and air cleaners) to use the Edelbrock~ but I could be very wrong... [:0] [B)]

On my way 'home' next week~ I'm sure I'll see him at La Palma...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
      San Diego, CA (for now)

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
        I think you'll have to change intakes to use the Edelbrock~ but I could be very wrong... [:0]
        [xx(]

If that proves to be the case, I'll have to rethink things... I'm trying to stick with the existing intake if possible...

If I was going to change intakes, I might do as well to go back to a 2bbl... doesn't really matter, just trying to get it drivable.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I would recommend the Edelbrock 500 cfm AFB with an electric choke for your engine. I've been using them for years on my cars with good results. A 63 or 64 AFB manifold would work the best, but I've used the earlier manifolds with the AFB using three of the gaskets that are used on the Avanti's, stacked like a sandwich. That set up will also keep some heat away from the carb making the engine easier to start after a hot soak. You may have to tweak the jetting to get the best gas mileage from your car. Bud

Comment

Do you have a model number for that carb?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Edelbrock 1403
              http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Do you have a model number for that carb?

Parish, central NY 13131

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have a Carter AFB from a '63 Stude on my '58 Commander, 259, auto. I'm happy with how that carb performs. I'm using a round breather made for an Edelbrock, with a homemade adapter to make it fit.

Of course, I realize that most people don't have a "ready to go" AFB laying around.

If I change it, I'll put an 500 Edelbrock on it. We have a couple of Studes with them. Those can't be beat. [^]

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Edelbrock 1403

Cool! Will that bolt in place of a Holley without an adapter?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Edelbrock 1403
                    Cool! Will that bolt in place of a Holley without an adapter?

Parish, central NY 13131
                    Yes.

That's what I'm running, it has both the WCFB bolt holes and Holley holes. I'm running mine on a WCFB manifold with an adpater/heat insulator from Show Cars made specifically for adapring to a WCFB manifold on a 348 or 409/340HP Chevy. VERY nice piece, far better than the generic diecast ones.

Comment

The problem with gas evaporating in the fuel bowls is not an Edelbrock problem...it's the gasoline formulation today. Gasoline is blended for fuel injected engines now where the evaporation issue is non-existent. The same problem with evaporation affects all carburetors.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Yes, the 1403, 500CFM Edelbrock (AFB clone)with electric choke works quite well right out of the box. I had a WCFB, but changed the manifold because I had it, it is not a "bolt on" because of the stud spacing. I know you can get an adapter / spacer to go from WCFB to AFB. You will need an spacer anyway (use an insulating phenolic spacer) to clear the linkage, and remove or bend over the choke tube. The throttle rod bolts right on with a couple of washers. On my Provincial a 14" air filter is a very tight fit, but its what I had in stock, a 10 or 12 inch after market would fit nice.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
                        Ross.
                        Riverside, Ca.
                        1957 Provincial X2
                        1958 Transtar
                        sigpic
                        Ross.
                        Riverside, Ca.
                        1957 Provincial X2
                        1958 Transtar

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

The problem with gas evaporating in the fuel bowls is not an Edelbrock problem...it's the gasoline formulation today. Gasoline is blended for fuel injected engines now where the evaporation issue is non-existent. The same problem with evaporation affects all carburetors.
                          I would agree, the Stromberg 2 bbl. on my 289 starts first time easy if it is within 48 hrs. of the last start. After that, you have to crank it for about 15 seconds to get gas in the carb.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                          May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander
                          Zone Coordinator
                          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

during the 60's and 70's i switched from holley's to carters i may have given up a little preformance but not much the biggest problem with the carters was the secondary kicking in. al you had to do was trim some metal off of the counter weight to control the secondary kicking in. other than that you set up the card once and did not have to touch it until you changed something(cam.heads,etc.) all of the carters and eldebrock i have seen have the holes for both holley and carter patterns. i like the older carters becaus they had brass floats. either one is a good choice. also has any one tryed wrapping the metal gas line with insalated wrap(tape) like you use on you water pipes at home?

Comment

I'm using 390 cfm Holley with a insulating 1/2" or so spacer. I never seem to have a problem after setting for a few weeks. I'm using an electric pump wired through a relay controlled by oil pressure switch. Without checking my wiring information can't be sure but I think I wired it to ACC side of ign switch and it shouldn't operate with the switch in the start position. I have a cold air intake with a remote air filter and it could be the this set up is keeping evaporation to minimum and holding fumes as intake level in grill is below bonnet on carb. The spacer was to cure a mild flooding problem when starting hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X