Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Need a king pin bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a king pin bushing

Hi, Guys,

I'm working on the king pins on my '63 Avanti. All kinds of interesting discoveries, like whoever previously installed the bushings and needle bearing sets put them in opposite to their correct positions -- e.g., I found the needle bearings on top and bushings on the bottom. Getting them out was an adventure (I had never heard of an "arbor press," let alone own one), but I digress.

I got the king pin rebuild kit from SI, but managed through stupidity to ruin one of the bushings. SI seems to only sell king pin sets, but I only need one part. Do any of the usual suspects sell the bushings separately? I don't fell like coughing up $80 for a new king pin set.

Any advice is appreciated.

quote:Originally posted by Edsel G. Tattooer

Contact these guys http://www.brakeplace.com/ Or find a local place that can measure the bushing of the good one you have Inside outside and thickness and compare it to what they have. I know the guys at Break equipment can get you the parts you need. Iknow they can help me with my 50 commander.

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
    18 years in the tattooing biz
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

I have bought bushings at bearing supply stores. Hope you have something they can measure. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hi, Tom

It sounds like you are still making progress on the Avanti. I would suggest that you take the other (unmolested) bushing to a local machine shop. A good shop would probably have something very close to what you need. Better yet, take all of the parts along and get them to press and ream the bushings.

Jim Bradley
        Lewistown PA
        '78 Avanti II
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

Send me a $20.00 bill and I will send you a 1550583 N.O.S. bushing by priority mail.
          Robert Kapteyn
          studebaker@mac.com

Comment

thanks to all. Robert, where do I send that $20?

Comment

You don't need an arbor press. Clean both the knuckle and the king pin clean enough to eat off of, slide the bushing on the king pin, lubricate it and the cavity on the knuckle, and slide the two together, using the king pin as an arbor. Support the knuckle so that the king pin can pass through it, and bump in into position, us a soft hammer of some sort.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              (Under Construction 573 hrs.)
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
              X