Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Why would a 64 4-dr have a tachometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would a 64 4-dr have a tachometer?

My brother is searching for a used gas tank for his '66 V-8 Cruiser. Today he ran across a junked 64 Daytona 4-dr missing the motor. Unfortunately, the car is rusted to pieces and the gas tank was in worse shape than the one on his car. He did notice one oddity. The car had full instrumentation and a factory tach. Why would someone special order a tach on a 4-dr sedan?
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

If he could get the serial # of the car we might be able to figure out more on the car.

Comment

because it's cool?

he did grab the dash didn't he? ('64 tach would be a desirable part)

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

What nels said. Go back and copy the car's serial number off the driver's door post; the number that begins with 64V. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks guys, but I was just curious. But there is not much left to the car except the dash, it's out in the boondocks, and the owner still wants $500 for it.
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

Thanks guys, but I was just curious. But there is not much left to the car except the dash, it's out in the boondocks, and the owner still wants $500 for it.
            That's OK. If it a genuine R-engine car, or was when built, we will be able to document the "existence" of another car on the JT-powered list of serial numbers. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm quite familiar with the R-series motors and their rarity. In fact, I just bought a '63 Avanti with an R2 from Goldenhawk in Md. My brother said this Daytona did have /8/ on the front fenders. But he didn't recall it having an R/1 or R/2 insignia on the grill and he was pretty sure it was single exhaust. It's no R car....
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

So if it had a manual Trans. one of the owner's could have been a street racer type, and wanted a Tach. ordered it with one, or added one! [^]

Got a Clutch Pedal?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

My brother is searching for a used gas tank for his '66 V-8 Cruiser. Today he ran across a junked 64 Daytona 4-dr missing the motor. Unfortunately, the car is rusted to pieces and the gas tank was in worse shape than the one on his car. He did notice one oddity. The car had full instrumentation and a factory tach. Why would someone special order a tach on a 4-dr sedan?
                  Probably my odd quirk,but I hate a dash with blanks in it. When I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire I was torn between a clock or a tach (overdrive equipped). I went with the clock and installed an aftermarket tach on the left windshield pillar. I sure wish I gone with the tach- super rare option.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

was the tach a correct green faced tach? did it have a redline? Was the green face still in OK condition If so, if you could get the guy down to a couple hundred bucks you might be able to break even if you just pulled the dash and told the guy to do whatever the heck he wanted with the rest of the car. The bezels are still available and the needle can be repainted.

If the car has an AM/FM you definitely would be OK pulling the dash for $500. Likewise if the speedo was a 160 MPH unit instead of a 120.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Nope, it was auto trans with column shift.

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

So if it had a manual Trans. one of the owner's could have been a street racer type, and wanted a Tach. ordered it with one, or added one! [^]

Got a Clutch Pedal?
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

Green face on the tach? I have an origine 64 4-speed car with a 289-2V engine. I thought a tach was just standard with the 4-speed. It looks like an original tach, but it has a black face.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Green face on the tach? I have an origine 64 4-speed car with a 289-2V engine. I thought a tach was just standard with the 4-speed. It looks like an original tach, but it has a black face.
                          Not standard except on JT engine, and Not Black. That would be a '63. does it have the Red Crosshairs (+)?
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If you were to run a chipper or a saw from a belt to an elevated rear wheel, a tach would tell you how fast you were working?
                            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Not standard except on JT engine, and Not Black. That would be a '63. does it have the Red Crosshairs (+)?
                              Well, after looking at it, it is green. I had it in the sunshine and you could definitely see the green.

Wouldn't the tach be listed on the build sheet then on a 289-2V? Nothing on the build sheet mentions it at all. I also wish I knew why they didn't make the face the same size as the speedo. I've been thinking about having another tach made up to look like the speedo in size (no, I won't harm the orginal).

Has anyone had luck with a gauge restoration shop with the green background?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X