X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bondobilly
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by JeffDeWitt

We are getting toll roads here in NC (the state blew our money for new highways). I'm told among other things our system will be able to read your license plate and the state will be able to either charge your account or know who to go after if you don't pay.
    In the NY Metro area we have small transponders that are stuck to our windshields. Where ever we drive there are sensors that interogate the transponder and our tolls are paid thru a fund that we fill up every so often. If you drive out of state, like to NJ, PA. CT. MA. RI. their systems read our NY based units. Sould you be low on funds you get a yellow caution light at each toll, but allowed to pass through. Even having a zero balance in your account allows you to pass but a summons is sent. One thing about the NY system is that all of our cars have to have either their own unit, or you have to list for DMV all the cars you own as not only does the EazyPass system deduct the money, it photographs the license plate and compares it against the car(s) that are authorized to use it. My 56 Hawk has one assigned to it, but itis in the glove box and as we pass through any tolls we hold it up in the windshield.

In the UK they use OCR which reads the plate number and charges your account. Everything is basically done by reading the plate numbers there.

The OCR (Optical Character Reader) system is also in some areas of NY City, as we got a ticket issued by camera which showed our car three feet inside "the box". The camera was placed one block back from the intersection. The photo clearly reads the plate number, the time of the infraction and date. (The Box is an area that painted on the street. It allows pedestrians to walk in any direction to cross a street. If you get caught in the BOX it is a $250 fine, and with the cameras doing all the work you cannot fight it.

Leave a comment:

• 1950Champ
    replied
    I had an old pop sci/mechanics or something magazine from about 50 or 51 with an article about this guy who was a former boxer/wrestler and was now developing a system to project the speedometer onto the windshield of a car. One of the prototypes was using the dash of a 1950 Champion, it was pretty neat (but not quite the black-light effect.) Not quite as advanced of a "HUD" and certainly not an iPhone.

Spence Gaskin

Leave a comment:

• JeffDeWitt
    replied
    We are getting toll roads here in NC (the state blew our money for new highways). I'm told among other things our system will be able to read your license plate and the state will be able to either charge your account or know who to go after if you don't pay.

My brother is very involved with the NC Turnpike Authority and seemed quite concerned when I asked him about YOM plates that the state can't identify. <G>

Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    In Oklahoma we have the PikePass for paying toll and it works in the same fashion as the IPass. I believe these transponders as you call them are RF devices so thickness of glass or angle should not matter.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    Yep, you have an account with the tollway authority and they provide the transponder. It's something like a debit card that hangs under the windshield, that when you pass under the reader, it reads the transponder and deducts from the amount you provided to the tollway. Now if are wondering what the story is with your account at the tollbooth, there's a set of lights that tell you when its time to reload the account:
    Blue light: You're Great, proceed
    Blue and Yellow: Reload soon, you are almost out[}]
    Yellow: You are flat broke, there is no money in the account, go back and reload the account. [)]

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-3-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

Leave a comment:

• 64Avanti
    replied
    I would guess the money is "stored" in a data base and when your transponder is read money is deducted from your account. I don't think that anything is stored on the transponder other than an ID.

David L

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    Yep, the mid eighties to late nineties(and I think they brought them back in 2000), Pontiac Bonnevilles, GTP's, Grand Am's, Grand Prix's, could also be had with the HUD. It went great with your Digital Information Center in the console, which projected a compass, diagnostics, and other neat stuff. The HUD in the Pontiac's were usually used to present your speed, turn signals and warning lights, without the necessity of looking down. I'd like to rob a pick u part of one of these units and its VSS, because it may not worky without it. Anyway I went looking for reflective film and I did find that new windshields that are used for HUD have a reflective film in the glass, that the ordinary glass doesn't have.
    However it seemed what was suggested from these folks working on Carputers was to find a highly reflective piece of clear plastic and to angle it in this fashion in the windshield:

As far as hiding it from other viewers, got me thinking about that 3m privacy screen I have. One side of the flexible type is glossier than the others.

In my simple tests, if the angle between the lcd is less than ~45, it displays perfectly. Some of the light still will still leak out to the window though. Though it looks less like a double image due to the composition of the material. Much more diffused.

If you rotate the material 90 degrees, there is no reflection (as it's meant to limit the light passing through it to a very narrow view angle, but it does obscure the view through it somewhat. More towards the bottom, but depending on how you locate it, it might be the front of the car itself you are occluding and nothing important.

What's really neat is its not limited to the factory cars as it can be installed from an aftermarket setup. The one I was looking at for a while was the Defi HUD setup, which was about the same thing as what's on the IPhone.
    quote:
    You crack me up...
    Old school...New school...
    You are one mixed up ol' man
    Jeff
    You think thats something you should check out the IPass I used to get to school everyday. Mounted in front of my mirror and attached to the windshield, it is a transponder that contained all of the moneys needed to get on and off of the tollway everyday without the necessity of using my ash tray for change. All that is needed to use it is to provide a set amount of money to the tollway authority to "fill up" the transponder. It also saved on having to stop at the booth as it pulls credit from the transponder as you pass under reader.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-3-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

Leave a comment:

• buddymander
    replied
    Try waxing the outside of the windshield and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• bondobilly
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

I give up, what the heck is a HUD? Besides a movie.
    H eads U p D isplay. Comes from the military, it projects your intrumentation on to your windshield. It also can be used in fleight helmets. Some car makers like Volvo, Lexus and MB and others are using partil HUD(s) to allow drivers to keep their eyes on the road rather than constantly scanning the dashboard. I think Cadillac was the first US car company to have about three years ago. Theirs was more infared to show humas and animals at night.

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    I give up, what the heck is a HUD? Besides a movie.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• bondobilly
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Bill, never knew of a gps that would do all that! Great to have as a stand-by in case of electrical failure for pilots!
    After you pay for it, and install it, you get a big caution, NOT TO BE USED as ................................

CYA They don't want to be sued if you crash.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Bill, never knew of a gps that would do all that! Great to have as a stand-by in case of electrical failure for pilots!

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Leave a comment:

• bondobilly
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

You are one mixed up ol' man[]
    Jeff

So what else is new???

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    You crack me up...
    Old school...New school...
    You are one mixed up ol' man[]
    Jeff

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
    I just spent about 30 min in a dark garage trying to find a way of getting rid of the double image and how to secure the thing to the dash pad. I think it is quite funny to have a HUD in a 53 year old car.

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• bondobilly
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by bams50

Bill- As of today I have 72 apps on mine[8D] 58 of them were free! Games, utilities, tools... a-ma-zing[:0]
    I am only downloading subway and bus maps of London and Paris, plus anything that has to do with flying. Found one that works in "airplane mode" that you place on your tray table in a plane and it reads out all the flight data, pitch, roll, yaw, artifical horizon and airspeed, vertical speed and altitude. Just discovered it is for small planes as the air speed indicator red lines at 250 mph. I am still trying to figure out how you can take credit cards using it and also print. I read somewhere the other day that by mid summer there will be a real time GPS Turn by Turn app.

I just spent about 30 min in a dark garage trying to find a way of getting rid of the double image and how to secure the thing to the dash pad. I think it is quite funny to have a HUD in a 53 year old car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X