Windshield Glass Old vs New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Glass Old vs New

I have had a IPhone for a while and recently started buying these 99 cent to $4.99 applications for it. Last night while playing I discovered that original Studebaker winshield glass is way different than today's glass. There is one "app" that is a GPS that can be hand held or used as a Heads Up display by laying the phone on the dash pad and it displays info just like a HUD. On both my SUV and Ellen's car the HUD displays perfectly. On the Hawk you get two images, they are spaced exactly apart as the thickness of the glass in the windshield, about 1/8th or less of an inch. Not only do you get 2 images, the spacing offset is equal to the angle between the inner layer and outer layer of the glass.

I wish I could capture with a camera, last night it did not work. maybe if I try again I can get it to display.

Maybe the exterior glass surface is showing up because its covered with minute scratches.

Comment

I think it is because the older safety glass is made with some type of Mylar sandwiched between two pieces of glass. The newer "safety" glass (I think) is "tempered" to shatter in a way as to eliminate the need for the plastic sandwich of the older safety glass.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

I think it is because the older safety glass is made with some type of Mylar sandwiched between two pieces of glass.
        Yes the older glass is two pieces with mylar between them. I made a mistake in buying a NOS original windshield, should have bought a new one. The NOS is much softer and gets road marks very easily.

I think that the mylar might be making the image double. But it is still fun

Comment

New windshields are also two layers of non-tempered glass, except in some european windshield glass, which is tempered; and will shatter.

Comment

My glass guy tells me the old glass is thicker than the new glass. The new gaskets are made for the new glass and don't fit the old glass very well.

If this is true, perhaps the thicker glass causes the two images.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bill- As of today I have 72 apps on mine[8D] 58 of them were free! Games, utilities, tools... a-ma-zing[:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Bill- As of today I have 72 apps on mine[8D] 58 of them were free! Games, utilities, tools... a-ma-zing[:0]
                I am only downloading subway and bus maps of London and Paris, plus anything that has to do with flying. Found one that works in "airplane mode" that you place on your tray table in a plane and it reads out all the flight data, pitch, roll, yaw, artifical horizon and airspeed, vertical speed and altitude. Just discovered it is for small planes as the air speed indicator red lines at 250 mph. I am still trying to figure out how you can take credit cards using it and also print. I read somewhere the other day that by mid summer there will be a real time GPS Turn by Turn app.

I just spent about 30 min in a dark garage trying to find a way of getting rid of the double image and how to secure the thing to the dash pad. I think it is quite funny to have a HUD in a 53 year old car.

Comment

You crack me up...
                  Old school...New school...
                  You are one mixed up ol' man[]
                  Jeff

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
                  I just spent about 30 min in a dark garage trying to find a way of getting rid of the double image and how to secure the thing to the dash pad. I think it is quite funny to have a HUD in a 53 year old car.

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

You are one mixed up ol' man[]
                    Jeff

So what else is new???

Comment

Bill, never knew of a gps that would do all that! Great to have as a stand-by in case of electrical failure for pilots!

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Bill, never knew of a gps that would do all that! Great to have as a stand-by in case of electrical failure for pilots!
                        After you pay for it, and install it, you get a big caution, NOT TO BE USED as ................................

CYA They don't want to be sued if you crash.

Comment

I give up, what the heck is a HUD? Besides a movie.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

I give up, what the heck is a HUD? Besides a movie.
                            H eads U p D isplay. Comes from the military, it projects your intrumentation on to your windshield. It also can be used in fleight helmets. Some car makers like Volvo, Lexus and MB and others are using partil HUD(s) to allow drivers to keep their eyes on the road rather than constantly scanning the dashboard. I think Cadillac was the first US car company to have about three years ago. Theirs was more infared to show humas and animals at night.

Comment

Try waxing the outside of the windshield and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X