Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

170 ohv and '52 overdrive tranny -- odd couple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studeclunker
    replied
    quote: Sometimes size does make a difference.
    Where have I heard that line before??

I supposed that there would be differences. However, the only difference that I've found on this engine (comparing it to the six I pulled out of my '62 sedan) was the location of the starter. My assumption was that the car had an automatic, the truck a manual, and therefore the difference was explained. I was able to strip the bellhousing and all accoutrements off the six and install the necessary parts for the automatic. Everything fit and the engine started and ran during an unmounted test.

All the wiring would have been the same on the sedan as the truck. But that kind of figures anyway. Remember, the Champ body is a sliced sedan body anyway. It was kind of like the Coupe Express in that the truck's cab hailed from an automobile. Unlike the C.E. the Champ ended up with that ungainly Dodge fleetside bed. But I degress.

My concern was the physical differences of the vehicles as to whether they would be compatible. The bell housing on the six was bolted to the crossmember by two bolts in the base. This is unlike the bellhousing on my V8 Champ which has two 'legs' which mount it to an identical crossmember. Nevertheless the transmission in that Champ mounted to the V8 I took out of the Blue Witch (64 Wagonaire).

You know, I have another OD tranny sitting around here. I've mentioned it here before. It came, gratis, in the other Daytona Twin. I'll have to measure the input shafts and so on. I forgot about that one...

This is all, of course, assuming that Frumpy (the '52 sedan) doesn't find a home either.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    To put a truck engine in a car, you have to change the starter location. Cars had it on the left and trucks had it on the right. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I have an ohv six and an overdrive tranny. The six is out of Pick-a-truck, an unwanted and homeless '62 Champ (will no one give him a home? ahem...). The tranny is currently residing in my '52 Commander. Are they compatible? I realize the Govenour and Solenoid will have to be replaced (they're six volt, need twelve). But mechanically, will they mate with the 170ohv six[?][?][?]

By the by, I'm willing to send the engine with Pick-a-truck if someone will give him a home. It runs and needs a fuel and water pump. More precicely, the fuel pump just needs a fuel bowl (SI has them, seven bucks I think). Oh, yes and a floor. Yeah, it's bad. A host of other things as well.

Who could resist a face like this:

Reminds me of a Basset Hound.

If I am unable to get Pick-a-truck a home, I'm thinking of working out a deal with the junk dealer in the area for his '57 or '58 Scottsman sedan. I'll put the six and OD tranny in it and try to get it a home through e-bay. The car's in reasonable shape. I'd just like to get it out of that yard. Provided he hasn't sold it yet...

Lotsa Larks!
    Ron Smith
    Ron,

The following is assuming that the truck bellhousing is still attached to the truck 6 cylinder........

The '52 Commander tranny should mate ok with the truck bellhousing. My reasoning: the 6 cylinder trucks used a short tailshaft T90, which was a variation of the T86 (trucks had straight cut 1st gears and a lower first gear ratio), and had the 'big' input shaft (sometimes referred to as the V8 input shaft). The '52 Commander would have a T86 short tailshaft tranny also, with the 'big' input shaft. Both would have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. I checked the parts books, and the front flange is the same part number for the '52 Commander trans and the '62 Champ 6 cyl trans, so that will work. Both transmissions would have a non-slip joint rear output shaft.

I was a little confused about whether this combination will go into the Champ truck, or the Scotsman car you mentioned. The engine/tranny combo should fit into the truck ok. However, putting the truck engine/bellhousing in the car chassis.....I have never tried that before. The truck engine mounts and bellhousing mounts are significantly different than the car. Plus, if the Scotsman is a '58, these cars used a one-piece driveshaft with a slip joint at the tranny, so that would be a sticking point.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    The six cylinder needs a T96 transmission. The V-8 used the T86. Sometimes size does make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• 170 ohv and '52 overdrive tranny -- odd couple?

I have an ohv six and an overdrive tranny. The six is out of Pick-a-truck, an unwanted and homeless '62 Champ (will no one give him a home? ahem...). The tranny is currently residing in my '52 Commander. Are they compatible? I realize the Govenour and Solenoid will have to be replaced (they're six volt, need twelve). But mechanically, will they mate with the 170ohv six[?][?][?]

By the by, I'm willing to send the engine with Pick-a-truck if someone will give him a home. It runs and needs a fuel and water pump. More precicely, the fuel pump just needs a fuel bowl (SI has them, seven bucks I think). Oh, yes and a floor. Yeah, it's bad. A host of other things as well.

Who could resist a face like this, doesn't that lopsided smile just... grab you[?]:

Reminds me of a Basset Hound.

If I am unable to get Pick-a-truck a home, I'm thinking of working out a deal with the junk dealer in the area for his '57 or '58 Scottsman sedan. I'll put the six and OD tranny in it and try to get it a home through e-bay. The car's in reasonable shape. I'd just like to get it out of that yard. Provided he hasn't sold it yet...

Lotsa Larks!
    Ron Smith
Working...
X