Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

the Phoenix rises....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Phoenix rises....

My Hawk is getting ready for prime time. Still has a long way to go. After languishing 6 years, while getting everything replaced from the lower door hinges down, I'm going through the wiring.
    Initially, when I turned the key on to start work on the circuits, a wisp of smoke started coming from the voltage regulator after a minute or so. Now it just gets warm.
    Anything detrimental about this?
    Eventually, I plan on installing a GM single wire, but this is later on. So far everything in the lighting and blower circuits has come to life with a little work. I'll be firing it up after New Years.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Fantastic!
    I love to hear it when progress reaches a point that a goal is nearing fruition.
    Great news!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

My Hawk is getting ready for prime time. Still has a long way to go. After languishing 6 years, while getting everything replaced from the lower door hinges down, I'm going through the wiring.
    Initially, when I turned the key on to start work on the circuits, a wisp of smoke started coming from the voltage regulator after a minute or so. Now it just gets warm.
    Anything detrimental about this?
    Eventually, I plan on installing a GM single wire, but this is later on. So far everything in the lighting and blower circuits has come to life with a little work. I'll be firing it up after New Years.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

May be just years of oil residue that burned off the regulator. I've seen it many times on start-up after I've degreased a engine.

JDP
      Arnold Md.
      Studebaker On The Net
      http://stude.com
      My Ebay Items
      http://www.stude.com/EBAY/

64 GT hawk
      64 Commander 2 dr.
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

There's several litle resistance wires on the bottom side of the regulator. Often times a new regulator will smoke just a bit, I guess there must be a bit of oil on the wires. If something were wrong, the generator would be getting hot, as in very. If you wish to set your mind at ease, take the fan belt loose from the generator and turn the ignition on. If the generator runs like a motor, the cutout points are sticking. If it just sets there like a lump of iron, you're fine.

Comment

Thanks to all, I'll take the high road and look at it as ok for now. Happy holidays.....
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
          X