Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

230 To 283 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 230 To 283 Conversion

I'm considering swapping out the 230 six in my 66 Daytona and installing a 283. I'm somewhat convinced that the bell housing will bolt up but after having examined the shop manual it looks like there's a difference in the transmission shift linkage. I know I'll have to hunt the V8 throttle linkage but the trans linkage has me a little confused. Manual doesn't show clearly what the connection is, to me anyway.
    I don't have any problems with the six, but a friend has a good running 64 283 I can buy for $150.00. Powerglide comes with it, but don't want it. Proper guidance will be appreciated and if anyone has complete linkage setup, I'd appreciate that as well.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kim

I believe the FOM (and torque converter) behind the Chevy 6 was different than those behind the Chevy V8...so you probably need the V8 FOM in addition to the other parts you list.

I'd consider using the Powerglide. The later ones (aluminum case) are strong, light, and are small enough to fit without any tunnel mods. They are the trans of choice for 8-11 second drag racers. The car will feel "peppier" with the Powerglide unless you always start the FOM in low gear.

You'll need to add a tab to the current trans cross member to mount the PG and a modified drive shaft with a Chevy yoke on the front. You can use the stock carb to trans linkage on the PG. You'll have to fabricate a new shift linkage rod.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I believe the FOM (and torque converter) behind the Chevy 6 was different than those behind the Chevy V8...so you probably need the V8 FOM in addition to the other parts you list.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA
      You are correct - the 230 used a very similar automatic to the 194, both very different than the unit behind the 283.

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Anything that bolts on the back of a chevy six will bolt on to the back of a 283. This includes the starter. Chevy sixes from 63-up and any sbc with a block mount starter. Powerglides are junk for street cars. If you're going to all the trouble to change trans, go with an overdrive. But I'd keep the original trans, for sure. The easiest swap for more power would be a 250 with a 194 head, or put the 283 pistons in the 250.

Comment

Hmmm...while what Dick says about the powerglide is somewhat, sorta true....the "race" powerglides have NO parts in common with the stock street glide. Not even the case. Well...maybe the basic general design..!?
          In an 11 sec. car, maybe 5% of the parts are the same (the case)...but then again, to reliably make a 3500lb car go in the 11 sec. range, takes lower/mid grade race parts.

All that said, a well rebuilt glide will give years of good service...but a 4 spd. auto will return more pep and better milage with a well tuned engine.

I'd say go for the swap..and have fun.

Mike

Comment

kamzack, you didn't make clear if your '66 has manual or automatic transmission. I did this swap years ago in a '65 Wagonaire with manual transmission. Everything bolted right up, but the T96 transmission died an early death. The 283 makes too much torque for it. I swapped in an older model T86, and drove it for some time that way, and eventually swapped in a Powerglide, which never did work well.

My suggestions:
            1. If the 230 runs well, leave well enough alone. You won't gain that much "seat of the pants" power with the 283 swap, and fuel economy will suffer. And things like linkage, rad hoses, and exhaust pipes will make the swap troublesome, even though the engine WILL "bolt in."

2. If the car has a manual transmission, and you intend to proceed with the swap, you MUST change the transmission. Probably a driveshaft change is in order, too.

3. If the car is an automatic, it will have the Warner Gear Type 35, IIRC. That tranny is too light for a V8, and you will have to change it.

4. Given that a tranny swap is a MUST, if I were going for the 283, I'd get a modern OD automatic like a 700R4 or 200R4, and do it right. Powerglides have only 2 speeds, and don't do much for fuel economy. The OD automatic will help you get the best possible mileage out of the engine. And it's no more work to install than any other tranny swap.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I agree that the 'glides used in race cars are beafed, but GM used the Powerglide behind 409's. They are pretty stout even stock.

I also agree that a TH700R4 or TH2004R would be a better choice for fuel economy and performance. Heck, an LS1 and a 4L60E would be even better if we are spending Kim's money .

IF the 6 in the Daytona is toast, and IF the 283/Powerglide for $150 is in good shape, and IF Kim is on a budget, the 293/Powerglide would be a good choice and most likely the least expensive option.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

No way jose. The PG will require a driveshaft and crossmember and linkage and cooling lines. Keep the trans and pitch the PG and bolt it in. Buy some V8 front brackets and mounts and concentrate on exhaust and cooling. If it was mine, I'd sell the 283 and get a 250/292, up the compression with alla the money Id save on mounts and radiator and exhaust.

Comment

I drove a '65 Nova SS for a few years with a 250 and a powerglide and it was a really nice car with decent power. I'm thinking building a stout 250 and keeping the trans would be a great option for a driver.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

I drove a '65 Nova SS for a few years with a 250 and a powerglide and it was a really nice car with decent power. I'm thinking building a stout 250 and keeping the trans would be a great option for a driver.

Here's two stout 250's in a row...

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

You could move those front wheels back and plunk the Daytona body down over it. Just don't forget to remove your back window for your head to stick out.

Comment

Hey guys,

Once again it pays to go to the experts here on the forum. You've all supplied great info and encouragement. I bought the 66 about 4 years ago and had planned to make a mild V8 street car out if it. My plan was to make a somewhat hot car for daughter to drive when she's of driving age. She was 10 when I got and just turned 14, time is slippin away. When I got it home I started playing with motor, and evetually got most of bugs out of it. It had only 51K on it and decided it couln't be in real bad shape so kept playing with six and runs very well now. Within the first year I sent for the build sheet and found it to be the factory engine. That fact was enough to abandon the the V8 idea. Body has just a bit more than the factory rust and some that's hiding(but I know where it is, can't fool me). I sent Bob Peterson some pics looking for door post bottoms and he said he's junked better cars than mine but he is still an encouragement.
                        This winter I completely rebuilt the front suspension and added new tires to blasted and correctly painted wheels, I hate to put hubcaps(wheel covers that is) on them. I've gotten everything to work that's supposed to including clock and back-up lights. Radio works, but little boy broke off the antenna about 3 years ago(I could use a coat hanger) I drive it everyday and daughter drives it around the place almost as often. It's a fun car to drive and I don't meet myself going down the road every 4th or 5th vehicle. I've always driven my Studes and Hudson over the years and it never gets old.
                        Stephen Cade called yeaterday afternoon to check on me and told him what I was thinking of doing and said the same thing "gordr" said, and it does run good and is dependable, so all this to say,I've been persuaded to leave well enough alone.
                        I know yall didn't ask for all this useless and idle info, but I do thank ya for all the responses.
                        Again, I thnak you,
                        Kim Kramer

Comment

Ya Kim I told you I had junked better cars then that but I still put some items on the trailer for you last year, how is it going? Ian and I both figured after we left and you were still talking to the guy with the custom 53 convert ,that you might have made a convert out of it. If for some reason you do put the Chevy 283 into the car the stock pan from a 283 will not let you run single exhaust, you will need to go to duel exhaust, Studebaker used a modified pan on these engines. Good luck at what ever you do.see you in Iowa in July?????..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Hi Bob,
                            I've not progressed on the body at all since I got the floor pieces from ya, they will definitely be helpful. Body will be next as I've been focusing on all of the mechanicals.
                            My daughter asked me yesterday when I picked her up from school when are we gonna fix the seats. What, ya don't like sittin on foam? She has also complained about the shower her feet get when we're driving in the rain, what, ya don't like our flintstone braking system? I have a larger braking surface than she does. We've had to resort to buying cheap tennies as we go through at least a pair every 2 weeks, no more rebocks for us.
                            About Iowa, we'd love to go and gonna try,but frequent trips to da tenny store kinda strains our already tight budget. Iowa is my home state and really want to go, but I'm also an economic victim.
                            Thanks, Bob for thinking of me and again thanks for all responses.
                            Kim

Comment

Kim I guess I could adopt the kids but don't think they wold like to live in California, and leave the snow and things that go with it, and also what would they do if the car was done?? lets paint a different color or something? just pulling you chain some , have fun with the car and the kids. fact is Kim let me know what way you are gong to go and I might be able to help and bring to Iowa, since I know your spot in life with kids and every thing else and still trying to do the Studebaker and I have a soft spot for people that can use a hand some time, what ever you need and if I have it , its yours free of charge and delivered to Iowa, and would love to give what ever to you in person but would give to some else that might like to deliver north to Mi. when I stop and think back I say I have helped lot worse people then you and I don't mean needy, I mean worthless, so if I can help on your project let me know, your friend ...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X