Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Tip when rechroming valve covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip when rechroming valve covers

I always wondered why the factory didn't chrome the breather tubes on Avanti and jet Thrust valve covers - now I know why. My valve covers just got a beautiful show chrome job. They look fantastic - but the breathers did NOT want to fit onto the breather tubes. I had no idea that the inside diameter of the breather caps was so close to the outside diameter of the breather tubes. Maybe regular chrome would be no big deal - but good triple chrome definitely increased the outside diameter of the breather tubes. So, a bit of time with a 120 grit rotary sanding wheel and everything fits again.

If you rechrome your valve covers, skip the top half of the breather tubes and save yourself some time,

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

That is a good tech tip that should be saved in the archives....
    A couple of wraps of electrical tape at the platers will keep the copper/nickel/chrome off the vent stack(s)..
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

I always wondered why the factory didn't chrome the breather tubes on Avanti and jet Thrust valve covers - now I know why. My valve covers just got a beautiful show chrome job. They look fantastic - but the breathers did NOT want to fit onto the breather tubes. I had no idea that the inside diameter of the breather caps was so close to the outside diameter of the breather tubes. Maybe regular chrome would be no big deal - but good triple chrome definitely increased the outside diameter of the breather tubes. So, a bit of time with a 120 grit rotary sanding wheel and everything fits again.
    If you rechrome your valve covers, skip the top half of the breather tubes and save yourself some time,

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I posted a similar thread about a year ago. When I discovered the problem my first thought was to blame SI for under sized breathers. It was very difficult to take a sanding wheel to brand new chrome to make them fit!

Perry
      '23 Special Six,
      '50 Business Champ,
      '50 Starlight Champ,
      '60 Lark droptop,
      '63 GT R1
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champ,
      \'50 Starlight Champ,
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Terms=breather

And three people had experienced the problem on that thread alone.
        More reason for a good header and using the search function...
        Good info guys!
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by fpstude

I posted a similar thread about a year ago. When I discovered the problem my first thought was to blame SI for under sized breathers. It was very difficult to take a sanding wheel to brand new chrome to make them fit!

Perry
        '23 Special Six,
        '50 Business Champ,
        '50 Starlight Champ,
        '60 Lark droptop,
        '63 GT R1
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I suspect that this kind of topic will get repeated over and over as the years go by. I am not new to working on old cars, yet this is the first time I've seen fittment/clearance issues on rechroming valve covers. its something that I normally wouldn't give a second thought.

I had no problem sanding the new chrome since the breather tube is covered.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
          Packrat junk collector
          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Where did you get the valve covers replated and what was the cost.I have a set that needs replating but saw some advertised for $200. was wondering whitch way to go. thanks ken

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

You owe him a $100 tip if they are any good

MIKE
              And then some. Figure $150-$200 per valve cover to do a decent job these days - - more if you get maniacal about it

Comment

Allan is right, figure on $400+ for quality work for a pair of valve covers.

The true story is that I bought these already done at a swap meet for $250. Actually I spent more than that and got a nice small collection of parts, another R series damper, custom pulleys, etc. The seller said he spent almost double that for just the custom chrome work, let alone the value of straight valve covers all on their own. I believe him, they are beautiful, the chrome is smooth and ripple free.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                Packrat junk collector
                '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                X