Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fan shroud surgery... Anyone done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan shroud surgery... Anyone done this?

Picture an 18", six blade fan, with a viscous clutch, on a GT Hawk with Power steering and Air Conditioning. The shroud has an extended top and a cutout for the a/c compressor

I had a straight six blade fan on it and have taken the old system apart many times. In March I purchased a new fan & clutch from T-bow ..
    To remove the straight six blade fan, once the upper hose and belts have been removed and the PS pump is removed and pushed aside, you have to carefully work between the fan blades to remove the nuts and lock washers from the studs in the water pump flange and then snake the fan out the pretty small area where the PS pump sat.

With the viscous clutch added to the assembly, I do NOT think it will fit BACK through that small area any longer, in fact, I'm very sure of this. Right now the radiator is out for servicing and the shroud has been removed.
    Has anyone ever thought about cutting off the top of the shroud, putting it on a hinge, so it would be infinitely easier to accomplish the above. I'm sure it can be made to look acceptable.
    Comments? thx

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Or maybe use two shrouds so that you can have the top piece overlap the bottom and attach it with two screws on each side.

Comment

Yeah, I have a plan, just have to think it through a bit. It will entail cutting off a large enough piece to get the fan installed with the bottom of the shroud in place. Hinged on one side, spot welded lands on the inside of the cut, to locate the top when it's closed. It will still require removing the upper hose, but the rest of the agony will be history.

Bob Johnstone
      www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
      55 President State Sedan
      70 Avanti (R3)
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Or maybe use two shrouds so that you can have the top piece overlap the bottom and attach it with two screws on each side.
        or just cut one in half with a thin blade, then weld a lip onto the bottom piece, drill a few holes in the top of the lip, add speed clips, then you can screw them together.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I cut my 55 schroud in half and set it up so I can remove the top half for water pump replacemrnt.

Comment

Send some pics, it would help.

Comment

The homemade shroud in my 259-powered M is set up very similar to what Nate describes above except that instead of a lip I overlapped the ends and used two sheetmetal screws on each side to hold them together. Works great and is almost invisible. I think you could cut an original shroud and weld a lip to the inside of the top piece so the two would overlap, then use the sheetmetal screws to hold the two together--similar to Buddymander's suggestion but using only one shroud.

Jeff Jones
              Tucson Arizona
              1947 M-5

Comment

When I replaced water pump and fan clutch on my 63 GT with AC, I took out the radiator and moved the condensor out of the way. You have a good idea and the engineers at Stude for some reason didn't get er dunne. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I have to agree with all parties above who suggested having the shroud cut in half. Make the top half removable by a couple of screws. Thats the winning way to go. If you notice, many later cars and trucks did just that with the plastic shrouds.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

I have no problem installing the fan onto the water pump with the shroud in place along with the radiator in place last one I did was a 57 golden hawk with blower in place and hooked up, now using a larger fan might be a different story, when doing the work and trying to reach in there to line up the fan bolts and the fan keeps moving right? just take a couple of bolts the same size but a little longer about 1" longer and cut the heads off then screw them in to the water pump then put the fan over them and it will stay in pace until you put the other 2 in and remove the long ones and put in the last 2, sure make a hard job easy...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

A bit harder,difficult, when dealing with a clutch fan. jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It's almost ready for prime time. I lopped the top, put a hinge on the PS side, 5-6 locating tabs around the edges and a snap latch on the DS. It opens and closes pretty well. Now it has to be "prettied" up a bit.

Bob Johnstone
                        www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
                        55 President State Sedan
                        70 Avanti (R3)
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I wish I'd thought of this sooner. My '55 shroud was orignally two pieces, spot welded together at the horizontal mid point. With a spot weld drill from the inside, one could cut them apart, paint heavily and reinstall using the spot nubs as pilots, with two sheet metal screws outside the spot weld areas,(Drill before cutting) no need to use two shrouds, all would look original.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                          Tom Bredehoft
                          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                          (Under Construction 573 hrs.)
                          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                          All Indiana built cars

Comment

The problem with cutting the top, is that it loses its rigidity when you separate it from the rest of the shroud. Closing it now requires a little twist here and there to align the locating tabs, but it works fine..

Bob Johnstone
                            www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
                            55 President State Sedan
                            70 Avanti (R3)
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Here 'tis

Bob Johnstone
                              www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk