Check Front Suspension Bolts Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Front Suspension Bolts Now

You really don't want them falling off on your drive home from South Bend. Yes, I'm a lucky fellow as about half way home I realized that something just wasn't right with the steering on the Hawk. I looked underneath when I got gas and saw nothing amiss, but by the time I got to the entrance ramp I decided to look again and what I saw this time was that the rear pair of nuts holding the control arm to the frame on the passenger side had fallen completely off. The back part of the control arm was down from the frame the entire length of the bolts. Luckily I had a screw jack and with borrowing the the nuts from the rear radius rods I was able to get back on the road in about an hour. But when I think of the high speed driving and crowded roads I was on I get a shiver in my spine. I know I've checked these bolts for tightness since rebuilding the front end a year and a half ago, but I guess I didn't check them this spring. My thinking is that with all the rough roads and potholes around Chicago they were jarred loose on the way to South Bend. First order of business will be new bolts and lock nuts, I really don't want to go through this again. My advice to everyone is 'check your nuts!'.
    Happy trails,

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

I use Loctite on these fasteners in addition to the locknuts, and have not had a problem since that.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Lok-tite is good... I use "top-lock" nuts, which are slightly deformed and once torqued down, will NOT loosen, believe me.

Bob Johnstone
      www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
      55 President State Sedan
      70 Avanti (R3)
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

55, I too am using the top lock type..installing them now as a matter of fact..I was glad to read your reply about them..I'm going in the right direction I guess!!

Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

This was also discussed last week here...

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=28470

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
          X