66 Cruiser, boiling over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Cruiser, boiling over

Hey all, today when I finished work I stayed late and changed the water pump and t-stat on my 66 Cruiser, which has the 283 V8, the water pump is working, but on my way home I had to pull over once, the car was boiling over, and the throttle linkage had fallen right off the carb at the same time....not sure how the cotter pin fell out..anyways, I put a 180o F T-Stat in it, could that be the problem? Im not really sure what I did...the Thermostat that was in it was put in up side down, it was alsot a 160o F Thermostat, which I didnt figure out untill I had changed it...any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter
    Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter

Was the car overheating BEFORE you changed the water pump and thermostat?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sorry about that, no it was not overheating before I changed the water pump and thermostat

Eric Harnett
      1966 Cruiser
      Hamilton Ontario
      Hamilton Chapter
      Eric Harnett
      1966 Cruiser
      Hamilton Ontario
      Hamilton Chapter

Comment

the 180 t-stat shouldn't be an issue. That is pretty much standard for an older Chevy V8. 180 is still well under the boiling point.

Your boil over issue must have something to do with the work you did. Perhaps the old t-stat was in correctly and the new one is backwards? The t-stat should say "to radiator" (or something like that) on the side that goes up.

Did you put the spring back in the lower hose?

Is the cap on tight?

Fan belt proper tension?

All air out of the cooling system and full?

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Im pretty sure I put the t-stat in with the "to radiator" facing up, but Im going to pull it all apart to make sure, and the spring in the lower hose.... there wasnt one when I took the hose off, what kind of spring is it? the cap is tight, the belt is the proper tension, and Im not sure if all the air is out of the system, because when I try to get it to bleed out with the cap off, it eventually starts shooting coolant out the top filler neck.....so Im hoping I just messed something up

Eric Harnett
          1966 Cruiser
          Hamilton Ontario
          Hamilton Chapter
          Eric Harnett
          1966 Cruiser
          Hamilton Ontario
          Hamilton Chapter

Comment

Could there have been an air pocket in the system after you reworked it? Gotta let the thermostat open up with the radiator cap off to make sure all of the air is out of the system. Also, make sure the heater is on when you are doing this also.

Comment

Eric, there should always be a spring in the lower rad hose! It is the side of the inside diameter of the hose, and is there to keep the suction of the engine pulling coolant out of the radiator from collapsing the hose. Whether this turns out to be the problem or not, you should definitely get a new lower hose with the spring intact.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard
              http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
              www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

There is also the possibility of the water pump being bad. Where did you get the water pump? Call the store where you got it and ask if they've had any returns. It could be the impeller is spinning on the shaft and not circulating the water.
                Check the thermostat and lower hose first. Always do the cheapest and easiest fixes first. In other words, you don't rebuild the engine just cuz it won't start. JK

sals54
                sals54

Comment

Well, I had a faulty thermostat, and the biggest air pocket I have ever seen, now the car runs nice and cool, thanks for all the help everyone

Eric Harnett
                  1966 Cruiser
                  Hamilton Ontario
                  Hamilton Chapter
                  Eric Harnett
                  1966 Cruiser
                  Hamilton Ontario
                  Hamilton Chapter

Comment

COOL![8D]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

COOL![8D]

Literally

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X