Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

56 golden hawk transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 golden hawk transmission

I finished a frame off restoration of a 56 golden hawk about 9 months ago but do not have it back on the road because of the transmission. does anyone know a trans shop within a reasonable distance of richmond va, that can rebuilt the packard trans?

Did a google search and came up with this guy.
    Dont know anything else about him.

http://www.ultramaticdynamics.com/

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

It would help to know if it is a Borg-Warner T85 overdrive (I can help you with that) or the Packard Twin-Ultramatic. I have heard these guys know how:
      Packard Motor Car Service Inc
      www.packardmotorcarservice.com
      68 Nutmeg Rd S
      South Windsor, CT 06074
      (860) 528-4200

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

That is the go-to guy, but $2500 is a lot of money.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

thanks, but i knew of ultramaticdynamics but he has been out of business for many months. even though he posted 2009 prices he is not in business. perhaps by june he will be.

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28

59 Lark
          etc

Comment

Geeze are they really that complicated?

Comment

In a word, yes.

There are a couple of weak parts which caused all the problems and the improved parts to fix those problems are only available from the few guys who know how.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

My daughter just paid 1200$ to have some computer replaced in or around her PT Cruiser's transmission. Wouldn't shift out of low gear. 2500$ ain't too much for a total remanufactured,with upgrades Ultramatic. The guy knows his chit. Maybe all can not afford this price but there are things that people in the hobby pay more for and cry less about and don't near get their bucks worth. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I went to that ultradynamics website and that guy seems like he would be pretty helpful with the updates, etc.

Comment

There's a guy in Los Angeles who knows these trannies. He's not on the internet, and dang-it, I can't remember the name of the place! I'll have to look and see if I have contact info anymore.

Edit: BTW, I'm with jimmijim here. In this day and age - someone who knows the intricacies and fobiles of this obscure item.... $2500 sounds like a DEAL! Heck, in '89, transmission shops wanted $3500 to overhaul the trans in a Toyota Camry!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Please, don't get me started on Japanese Economy Cars...Anyway, They say there is a shop here called: "Beetles Transmissions" that can fix 'em. That is what I've heard, anyway. They've been in business quite awhile. Their number is 417-831-6996.

Comment

$2500 is rediculous. If so many people think it's such a good deal, I'm tempted to get back in the tranny business...

Comment

[ridiculous]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

$2500 is rediculous. If so many people think it's such a good deal, I'm tempted to get back in the tranny business...
                            Go ahead. Only if you feel if you can make it. What happened the first time? jimmijim --- not a CASO
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

When the overdrives became predominant, parts prices wouldn't allow for a discount transmission business to flourish. Since I had been working on mostly older cars with three speed automatics, business slowed down as the older models left the market. Also, I didn't enjoy doing the R&R on front wheel drives. I could drop a rear wheel drive in twenty minutes. You don't ALWAYS get what you pay for...I think I'll check out that website I mentioned and possibly pursue this for west coast customers and offer shipping worldwide at a reasonable price. I've modified many transmissions for longevity and performance, and not just with a kit provided by someone else. I've done my share of complicated trans like four different rear wheel drive overdrives and three different front wheel drive overdrives; I'm sure I can handle something as simple as an Ultramatic.

Comment

Working...
                              X