Question about 60 thru 65suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 60 thru 65suspension

Hey guys can you tell me if the frame and front suspension are the same on the Larks from 60 thru 65? Thanks in advance because i know i will get an answer.

David Baggett '53 coupe

when they brought out the Avanti, they dialed in more positive caster . they did this by replacing the kingpin and the lower support, attached to the lower A Arm. Otherwise everything is identical, except for various spring types & rates. Any 51 up can gain xtra positive caster by replacing with the later kingpins& supports.

Ken Pyle

Comment

IIRC 52 and up is all the same, other than springs, and spindles, there might be some differences in king pins but not 100% sure on that.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Hey guys can you tell me if the frame and front suspension are the same on the Larks from 60 thru 65? Thanks in advance because i know i will get an answer.
        Suspension on all Studebakers from 51-66 is essentially the same (Lark types were made from 59-66). Some subtle differences like bushings vs bearings in the bell crank, and as Ken said, caster. Probably a few others.

There were two different wheelbase Lark frames depending on the body style. 109" and 113". The convertibles and wagons received an "X" member not found in the other models.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Ken,Jim, and Dick i knew i could count on you smart stude guys

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Actually the King Pins that are Aligned at a little LESS negative Caster, and are different are NOT only '63 and up. The 1961 Lark came out with the new improved King Pins and alignment setting with the introduction of the new "Recirculating Ball" Saginaw Steering Gear, the Hawk followed in 1962 with only new King Pins, and of course all Avantis are after the 1961 change. [:0]

The thicker frames started in 1962, they are 11 Ga. on most all but 2 Dr. Sedans. Never use a 2 Dr. Sedan frame with much over 120 H.P. or so, as they are only 14 Ga. from '59 to 1966 except Export and Taxi, and the spring towers WILL fail, especially if you have the choice of a Hardtop frame. [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X