Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1950 Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Studebaker

I've got the transmission out of the 1950 Champion. My problem was gear clatter when shifting into second at speeds of 10 to 15 mph. I haven't pulled it apart yet but was wondering how I can tell if it is the synchro assembly or second gear. Or I suppose it could be both. I have a source for both the sync assy and second gear. Or I could get the blocking ring and second gear and not the complete synchro assy. Any advise would be helpful.

Also, the champion has no oil filter. Is there a way to do an after market oil filter that would help?

I would think you could see wear on the synchro if you took the cover off.

As to the oil filter, yes, you can add a partial flow filter setup. They were an option and it's not hard to find a used filter cannister. You can buy new lines as well. Cannister, element, mounting bracket and lines and you're all set. You also need a restricted fitting to limit oil flow so you don't dump all the oil pressure thru the filter cannister.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
    X