Cruiser master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruiser master cylinder

My 64 Cruiser has power brakes with a dual reservoir master cylinder. Were dual reservoir cylinders factory equipment on 64 models? I plan to rebuild and reuse it.Thanks.

thom
    thom

If it's a 4 bolt M/C, most likely a mid 70's Chrysler. If you look in April 2001 Turning Wheels, in the co-operator pages, I think the number is there.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by thom

My 64 Cruiser has power brakes with a dual reservoir master cylinder. Were dual reservoir cylinders factory equipment on 64 models? I plan to rebuild and reuse it.Thanks.

thom
      Dual master cylinder was standard equipment on Studebaker cars from 1963 - 1966, except for the Standard model and cars with disc brakes. I am assuming from this that your Cruiser has power drum brakes. If your Cruiser has power disc brakes (in the front) then someone has changed the master cylinder.

Edit due to typo

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

also.....I'm sure the MC is different from power drums vs. drums. It may only be the rod, not sure. I'm unsure as to whether the AMC or equivalent is a direct bolt on for PB.....BTW, I think it's a 2-bolt......

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

also.....I'm sure the MC is different from power drums vs. drums. It may only be the rod, not sure. I'm unsure as to whether the AMC or equivalent is a direct bolt on for PB.....BTW, I think it's a 2-bolt......
          A stock Stude drum set up will need residual check valves (10 pound or so) in the MC front and rear. A stock Stude disc set up had no residual check valves. Probably the reason Stude used the single MC on the disc brake cars.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thom:

Our 64' Cruiser has power drum brakes. I replaced the master cylinder (dual) with Carquest part number BRK E 56193, it is a direct bolt on and even the brake lines bolt up. I was told it is a AMC/Jeep master cylinder.

Dean Croft
            Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
            Dean

CLEM

Comment

(quote)
              Our 64' Cruiser has power drum brakes. I replaced the master cylinder (dual) with Carquest part number BRK E 56193, it is a direct bolt on and even the brake lines bolt up. I was told it is a AMC/Jeep master cylinder.

It is an AMC/Jeep, and yes it is a direct bolt on.

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
              X