Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Is the 259 heads the same as 289 heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the 259 heads the same as 289 heads?

The heading pretty much says what I would like to know, except I would also like to know the diffences in regualar 289 heads and R2 heads.

Thanks,

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Dylan; 259 and 289 heads ARE the same. The '63 & '64 Lark/Hawk uses the 1557570 Casting #, NOT Part Number, Avanti R1 Heads.

But you asked about the Supercharged R2, they require the low Compression Truck Heads that were on Trucks and Export cars to Countries with very low Octane, poor quality Gas.

This means the "bowl" Combustion Chamber portion, of the head is deeper, and the "roof" is [u]thinner</u>, which is why Jon Myer recommends the shallow Dish Pistons instead of flat top, that he Pioneered having made, instead of Truck Heads on both R1 & R2, because with the high compression and hotter running Performance Engines that are driven harder, it is easier to crack one.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Once you get past the casting/part number, they're all pretty much the same.
      The chambers are machined a little different for different compression ratios, but the ports, water passages, accessory holes are all pretty much the same.

Some of the early 60's heads have a slightly different coolent cavity. If you're not going to heavilly port them, then you'll never know the difference.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The engine I am looking at is a '58 259 to use as the base for a hi-po engine build. So from what you guys are saying, if I used the dished pistons, I can use the heads, wich I "think" I will do some mild porting. Correct?

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

That's how my engine is built.

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Cool, then I will have most of the basic parts to build my engine. Thanks to all who responded,

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Silver -

While you haven't noted the actual casting number head you currently have...yes, most heads will take mild port work just fine.

You might want to do some preliminary homework though.. If you use the dished piston....where the flat top should be...the engine will be very slugish and somewhat lack power.
              At the least go here - http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/Headcasting.html
              And find the head you have. Then you can make a somewhat close decision on the rest of the parts to use.

Mike

Comment

Dylan, there are 3 major kinds of pistons readily available. Flat top and dished pistons were both used by Studebaker and then after market shallow cup pistons were made available. That last kind is what was used in my engine to get about a 9.2 compression ratio. Jim Pepper figured out the details and did the head work and it has worked great for me.

Tim K.
                '64 R2 GT Hawk
                Tim K.
                \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

What casting # is best to get? This is going to be my first engine build, so I want it to make sure I get it right. Most of the other stuff I think I can figure out. Thanks,

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dylan -

As noted, except for the chamber and other small unnote-worthy changes, they are all pretty much the same.

That said, in all of my port work for myself and others, I've found the "570" (last three numbers) casting number heads to be just a touch better than the earlier heads in a few ways. Mostly in the water jacket area. When I do "full performance" port work, the 570 casting is the only one I feel comfortable doing this work to. But as stated earlier, mild port work will work on any 56 or later head.

Mike

Comment

Alrighty, thanks for all the responses. I'll go look at the head casting # soon and see what they are. Thanks again, you guys have been a big help,

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

You keep talking about dished pistons and you are starting with a 259 engine don't forget you need a 289 crank to go along with the 289 pistons, should then put in an R-1 can for some extra go. also 4 bld manifold and carb, good luck and have fun..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

I knew about the crank, thanks for telling me anyway. But if I was setting it up as a R2/R3, would the R1 cam be the same as the R2 cam?

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dylan, beware that R series engine stuff is VERY expensive... You could probably dump at least $10K into building a "correct" R3, and that's estimating on the low side.

As far as your cam, get one of Ted's R2+ cams from Fairborn Studebaker.

Here's the heads you want... If you can't read it, "JET CITY STAGE TWO" is what's stamped into it.

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks Matthew, are these heads repro's or are the remans? And that cam is a custom grind I take it?

Dylan Wills

Dylan Wills
                              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
                              X