Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cork floats on gas sending unit----fix ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAPA has each type of float for sale--metal or plastic, $8.00 each.....Brad

Comment

My problem is that when I was taking out my fuel sensor unit the cork came off and is in gas tank.. Now what? Can I leave it there?
      Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

Comment

Originally posted by SB-Danny View Post
        My problem is that when I was taking out my fuel sensor unit the cork came off and is in gas tank.. Now what? Can I leave it there?
        Welcome to the SDC Forum!!!

What model/year Studebaker are you referring to? Some model/year Studebakers take a different float and it must be positioned just so to obtain a correct gauge reading.

Comment

Originally posted by DilloCrafter View Post
          JDP gave you the biggest clue. I've read that the original corks were coated with shellac to keep them impervious and "floatable".

However, if any of you is a woodworker, you may know what solvent is used to cut shellac. Unfortunately, it's a solvent that is now found in much gasoline - ALCOHOL.

So, coating corks with shellac is no longer a good idea. What I did, when I was thinking of re-using my old sending unit was to order some gas tank sealant from POR-15. I thought I would need it in my tank, and I also used it to coat the original cork. It "test-floated" very well in water, so that POR-15 or some other brand of gas tank inner sealant paint/coating might be the answer.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

That's excellent information... And BTW, you're just about a half dozen miles down the road from me!

Comment

Here's an alternative to using the cork float. http://www.gudim.com/ReplacingCorkFloats.html
            Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
            55 Commander Conestoga
            60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
            59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
            62 Champ 7E7, A/T
            49 2R15 Stakebed

Comment

I have two easy solutions for you. First, if you want to stay with a cork float coat it with Super Glue. It is totally impervious to gas and alcohol. Or, second, replace the cork with a plastic one -- available from Mac's Ford Parts for $4.95 (P/N 64-24795)

Comment

Working...
              X