Minor issues with my new Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor issues with my new Lark

I got to tinker with the Lark yesterday. I have no brake lights. Is the wiring for the brake lights under the hood near the master cylinder? This car has a Corvette master cylinder on it, and if it uses the pressure type switch, I'll have to do some improvising.
    I drove it around the block a few times in the neighborhood and the Brkes are dragging a good bit. It feels like the rear brakes, but i havent jacked it up to be sure. Hopefully, the back brakes are just too tight. It seems to roll oh backwards but not forward.
    I'm having fun now!!

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Check the emergency brake cables and linkage, it could be sticking or hung up somewhere.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yep; stop lamp switch wiring is under the hood, where it would be available to plug into the forward end of the master cylinder. As you suggest, if there is no such provision on the master cylinder for a screw-in, pressure-type stop lamp switch, you'll have to improvise. See Column 3, Page 14, April 2009 Turning Wheels. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob!![8D]

Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starliner62
          This car has a Corvette master cylinder on it
          A Corvette master Cylinder was made for disc brakes front and rear. IF the bore size(s) on this MC are the same as the stock one, you will probably still need some sort of residual check valve(s), perhaps a proportioning valve, and maybe a valve to delay the application of the rear brakes.

Replacing stock brake parts can be a nightmare. Unless you are really into hydraulic engineering, generally more harm is done than good.

My neighbor just put a Corvette MC on his fairly new Jeep (don't ask why ). He had terrible braking after that (early rear brake lock up) until he reversed the front and rear lines. It seems to work OK now, but I'll bet the stock MC stopped the Jeep quicker and straighter.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
          X