Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

V-8 Exhaust Manifolds Interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-8 Exhaust Manifolds Interchangeable?

The stock exhaust manifolds are missing off my (presently)mock-up motor, but it looks to me from the bolt pattern on the heads as though the manifolds are interchangeable, at least Rights bolting up on the Left, and vice-versa; I just want to be sure before I talk to SASCO so I'm asking the question.

I understand about the side-to-side outlet port orientation now being wrong.

Thanks,

Eddie

"No matter where you are...there you are!"
    Dr. Buckaroo Bonzai

depends on what car you have. On most 55-64 Studebakers, the manifolds will bolt on either side BUT the pass side has a mount for the generator/alternator cast into it. The pass. side also has longer studs to go through the heat riser valve.

On an Avanti, the manifold castings are in fact identical, the only difference between left and right being the length of the studs on the outlet flange.

The outlet port does point slightly forward on the driver's side, this is because these cars were originally designed for a single exhaust. The dual exhaust head pipes were bent to accomodate this, the manifolds didn't change.

Now if you have a 51-54 car the manifolds are completely different from 55-64, but my above comments still apply; they just had much smaller ports to mate up to the 232 heads.

So there's basically four (well, actually five) different castings:

1) 51-54 driver's side (no gen. mount)
    2) 51-54 pass side (gen. mount)
    3) 55-64 driver's side and Avanti pass. side
    4) 55-64 sedan, Hawk and Lark pass. side
    5) "R3" cast header

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Good answer...THANX!

I had noticed in Vendor's advertising different P/Ns. I'd figured 232-cars's manifolds were probably sized for the smaller 232 port, and '55-'64 were sized for the larger ports; Avanti and R-series units, were, well, Avanti and R-series units.

Stocker '55-'64 units are what I need.

Eddie

Comment

Last time I was at SASCO they were selling NOS pairs of manifolds for 55-64 non-Avanti cars. NOS is nice because there's less paint prep involved and you don't have to fight to replace the studs...

But that said, let's say you needed a driver's side manifold and you had in your stash a pass. side Avanti manifold... it's the same casting, the reason it has a different part number is because of the longer studs. If you have a torch, some vice-grips, and a tap and die set, no problem.

If you're using used manifolds, many vendors sell a "manifold repair kit" with the correct long and short studs, three gaskets, and four brass nuts.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

There are 6 manifolds. There is a R3 right side manifold with a mount for the alternator for Hawks and Larks.

David L
          David L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Last time I was at SASCO they were selling NOS pairs of manifolds for 55-64 non-Avanti cars. NOS is nice because there's less paint prep involved and you don't have to fight to replace the studs...

But that said, let's say you needed a driver's side manifold and you had in your stash a pass. side Avanti manifold... it's the same casting, the reason it has a different part number is because of the longer studs. If you have a torch, some vice-grips, and a tap and die set, no problem.

If you're using used manifolds, many vendors sell a "manifold repair kit" with the correct long and short studs, three gaskets, and four brass nuts.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

depends on what car you have. On most 55-64 Studebakers, the manifolds will bolt on either side BUT the pass side has a mount for the generator/alternator cast into it. The pass. side also has longer studs to go through the heat riser valve.

On an Avanti, the manifold castings are in fact identical, the only difference between left and right being the length of the studs on the outlet flange.

The outlet port does point slightly forward on the driver's side, this is because these cars were originally designed for a single exhaust. The dual exhaust head pipes were bent to accomodate this, the manifolds didn't change.

Now if you have a 51-54 car the manifolds are completely different from 55-64, but my above comments still apply; they just had much smaller ports to mate up to the 232 heads.

So there's basically four (well, actually five) different castings:

1) 51-54 driver's side (no gen. mount)
              2) 51-54 pass side (gen. mount)
              3) 55-64 driver's side and Avanti pass. side
              4) 55-64 sedan, Hawk and Lark pass. side
              5) "R3" cast header

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              -------Nate, you are really up on your chitt. Thanks for posting. jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Apparently not; I did not know about the pass side non-Avanti R3 manifold! I've never seen one, and probably never will... there couldn't have been too many of them made!

I should have clarified my response, as well - the orientation/placement of the outlet flange pass side vs. driver's side is the same for both 51-54 and 55-64. So the manifolds are in fact identical *with the exception of the generator mount.* If you use a custom alternator mount that bolts to the head bolts, a driver's side manifold will exactly replace a pass. side manifold. In fact that is what I have on my car now.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

So, will 259 manifolds bolt on a 232, and
                  will 232 manifolds bolt on a 259. I know
                  the port size is different, but is the bolt
                  pattern the same. So, could you bolt 259
                  manifolds on a 232 and get better breathing.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Flashback

So, will 259 manifolds bolt on a 232, and
                    will 232 manifolds bolt on a 259. I know
                    the port size is different, but is the bolt
                    pattern the same. So, could you bolt 259
                    manifolds on a 232 and get better breathing.

Tex E. Grier

[/quo If you quit smoking cig's breathing should be better. jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thanks jimmijim, for the response. I don't smoke,
                      but I appreciate the humor. You gave me a LOL in
                      the middle of the day. Now will they fit?

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I don't believe the bolt pattern is the same between the 232 and the 259. The ports are taller. The gaskets do not appear to match either, but has anyone tried them? Perhaps a 259 manifold on a 232, but I don't see it going the other way.

sals54
                        sals54

Comment

Eddie; you had to make me go look didn't you? Lol!

My '54 Commander Land Cruiser still has it's original 232 and original small port heads casting 535107 I think it said, anyway in 1970 I installed a complete NOS '57 Packard Clipper 2 in. front, 1 3/4" tailpipe dual exhaust system, I used 259/289 Exhaust manifolds and heat riser and it bolted right up! [^]

It had a highly restrictive little 1 7/8" head pipe with crossover before, so it's quite an improvement.

That little 232 has the sweetest sound, running through those steel packed J.C.Whitney straight through galvanized steel dual mufflers that you ever heard! And the best part is, all but the low areas of the tailpipes, they are still solid after all these years.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                          X