63 GT Hawk Tach wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 GT Hawk Tach wiring

I am installing a tach in a 63 GT that did not have a factory installed tach using a tach bought at York. The person I bought the tach from marked each wire but I am confused as to the green wire. The green wire is marked "grnd above hood release". I got a diagram that shows the green wire going to what is described as a "strap that's in the car - just drill". Also it makes reference to a ELE block that I can't identify. I got a diagram off of ncsdc/technical pages - it shows the green tach wire and the pink resistor wire mounted on a terminal block on the vehicle support on the dash. On my car the pink wire goes directly from the ignition switch all the way to the positive side coil. I tried to question the nc chapter but couldn't figure out how to do it. Their diagram can be seen at http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/GTTachs.htm. Can anyone can help place the green wire in the right place and tell me what an ELE is?
    Ken

If you are using a factory tach, it requires a sending unit... if the green is ground, I believe the hood release is mounted to the dash support, both of your sources are probably telling you the same thing, that's likely the closest ground point to the gauges that doesn't involve drilling a hole through the floor or firewall (e.g. something that's wet or oily on the other side.)

http://www.raylinrestoration.com/Tec...es/GTTachs.htm

If you didn't get a sending unit with your tach and end up purchasing an aftermarket one, use the instructions that come with the sending unit (they may work differently than the original ones.)

Also check the January 1980 Turning Wheels if you have access to a copy. That appears to be the best reference I've seen for these tachs, although I have not fact-checked any of the info presented as I've never owned a GT Hawk.

good luck

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I'm not sure if the tachs are different but the sending units are. The R series engines have a round sending unit verses the regular engine having a rectangular unit. My Hawk had a regular tach (no redline after 6000 RPM) but did have the correct round sending unit. Double check your parts book to see if there are different tach head units listed, or maybe Ray or Rich will chime in & advise.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Just to sum up what has been said, there are two things that need wiring 1)the tach 2)the sending unit. With original equipment there are two sending units, 1) round for R series cars and 2) rectangular for the regular engines. They are wired differently. The new replacement sending units are wired the same as the rectangular type. If you can be more specific about which kind you have, someone can tell you how to wire it.

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I'll second N8N's tip regarding the Jan 80 Turning Wheels - the article is very comprehensive. In particular, there is a description of using a 1.5 volt battery to confirm that the tach head is OK. I got a copy of this using interlibrary loan at the local public library.

I purchased a replacement rectangular sending unit from SI. They clearly state in the instructions that the wiring is not the same as the factory setup. I'm still puzzling that out for my 63 GT (non-R2).

Jim K.
          63 Hawk
          Jim K.
          63 Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ken-renda

I am installing a tach in a 63 GT that did not have a factory installed tach using a tach bought at York. The person I bought the tach from marked each wire but I am confused as to the green wire. The green wire is marked "grnd above hood release". I got a diagram that shows the green wire going to what is described as a "strap that's in the car - just drill".
            Apparently the "seller" thought that the post mounted to the dash brace (above the hood release) was a GROUND. It is NOT- it is an insulated post used to connect the pink resistor wire, and GREEN tachometer lead on a FACTORY TACH equipped car. Dealer installs, and home upgrades rarely have this post. It isn't absolutely necessary.. just connect the GREEN tachometer wire, and the PINK resistor wire together. They DO NOT attach to the ignition switch! The RED wire from the (square) sending unit then goes to the ignition switch.

quote:Also it makes reference to a ELE block that I can't identify. I got a diagram off of ncsdc/technical pages - it shows the green tach wire and the pink resistor wire mounted on a terminal block on the vehicle support on the dash. On my car the pink wire goes directly from the ignition switch all the way to the positive side coil.
            Remove the PINK wire from the ign switch. Replace it with the RED wire from the tach-sending unit. Connect the PINK wire to the GREEN wire from the sending unit. GROUND the BLACK wire from the sending unit to the dash brace (usually one of the screws that hold the fuse-block to the dash brace)

quote:I tried to question the nc chapter but couldn't figure out how to do it. Their diagram can be seen at http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/GTTachs.htm.
            The old NCSDC.com site is no longer active (I was webmaster- and that has been taken over by Jack White- and is now NCSDC.NET.
            All of my technical pages are now at www.RayLinRestoration.com

quote:Can anyone can help place the green wire in the right place and tell me what an ELE is?
            See above... ELE? .. sorry, no idea...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Working...
            X