Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

50 commander Starter Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 commander Starter Issues

SO the car starts most of the time just fine. Then like last night Plenty of charge on the battery, plenty of voltage getting to the starter. It makes no sound what so ever. Then I took out the universal tool and gave it a rap or two. And Vola! Turned right over.

Here is the questions.
    Do I need to get it rebuilt? Or New bushings? What is going on?

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
    18 years in the tattooing biz
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

Sounds like the brushes are hanging up. They might be gummed up, or be overly worn, or the springs might be getting weak.

If your starter had a band around the back end where the brushes live, you can take it off and look. Otherwise you'll have to remove the starter, grab the manual and get in there.

JohnP, driving & reviving
    an early Lark
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

and don't lose that Universal Tool!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Are you sure that it's not the solenoid sticking? Mine does it from time to time and requires a good rap or two to unstick. Paul

50 champion 2dr sedan
        sigpic
        1950 Champion
        9G F3

Comment

I'm the first to admit I don't have the expertise, tools or time to analyze and accomplish everything God and man insist. I take it to the auto electric shop.
          I can unbolt it and bolt it back in. It costs $10 or it costs $100 but it works.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Well Like I said, No noise at all so it could be all of the above or a crappy connection in the wires. The are old and I did get my new wire harness today. So with all this in mind I'll try and post what I find out when I get a chance to rip into it.

Here are some pictures just before I got it drivable. Not much has changed in appearance other than tail lights and bumpers are now on it again.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&id=774710359

And here is the first carb for the dual carb set up and the dual intake I have for it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&id=774710359

Thanks Guys!

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

sigpic
            I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
            Shakopee Mn.
            952-445-3281

Comment

Or perhaps oil/grease. Unlike the V-8 starters, the starter on my 1941 Commander does not have a plate separating the bendix/nose from the electric motor. If you are in the habit of greasing the teeth on the bendix, that stuff can migrate back to the electrics.

Comment

Its the starter solenoid Go to your nearest NAPA and get one. You can get lot for your car at NAPA.

Comment

So it happened again to me. I used the all purpose tool again with little result. I got the bright IDEA roll it back a bit pop the clutch for a second to shift or spin the ring gear a little bit. And bingo she started up.

Is the diagnosis the same? clean up the brushes and starter?

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

sigpic
                  I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                  Shakopee Mn.
                  952-445-3281

Comment

Take the starter off and take it apart and blast it off with compressed air. Sand the commuter where the brushes ride in a circular motion. Turn the brushes around. If you're having connection problems inside the starter, that will put a strain on it by giving it low voltage.

Comment

I once had an issue with the starter doing nothing in my '60 Lark. It happened rarely. If I put it in gear and gave a little nudge it would start fine. Diagnosis: one missing tooth on the ring gear.
                      If yours responds to the universal tool to the starter, the ring gear is probably not the issue.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Now that I have pulled the starter I see the ring gear is a bit chewed up but just the front edge of the teeth most of the teeth are well intact. I'll plan on replacing the ring gear when I need to pull the tranny or engine out for any good excuse.

THanks all
                        sigpic
                        I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                        Shakopee Mn.
                        952-445-3281

Comment

Working...
                        X