front brakes for 62 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brakes for 62 Champ

I bought a 62 Champ, and the front brakes, including disassembled master cyl,are in a box. A couple springs are missing & the master needs rebuilt.If I plan to drive this truck locally, with some local interstate driving, is it better to convert to dicc brake front, or should I rebuild what I have? What are the relative costs and availability? - Diver

Welcome to the forum. If this is your first Studebaker, welcome to the world of Studebaker. By the time I type this reply you may already have several answers. The engineers that designed the system on your truck, made it adequate and sufficient for its intended purpose. Properly serviced, adjusted and maintained, it should serve you well and safely. Before you convert to disc brakes, search this forum and read some of the problems others have experienced. That could help you decide how to proceed.You should be able to find new or new-rebuilt master cylinders for the truck. If the truck has been down for a significant time, you should refresh the entire system. If you don't have a shop manual, buy one. If you are confident in your ability to follow instructions, you should be able to handle the job. If you are not a club member, find your local chapter and join. It is more important that the truck is able to "stop" than "go." Good luck with your project and keep us up to date on your progress.

John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I would agree with John. My '57 Transtar has the same brakes as your 62 Champ (assuming it's a 1/2 ton). Once I rebuilt my brakes with new components, he stops quite fine (no power booster either). If you were considering daily use, lots of trailer towing and/or large loads - then I might consider an upgrade.

IMHO they stop the truck very well - provided they are in the same condition as when they left the factory! [^]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I believe you MAY have the new improved Bendix style Wagner Brakes, I always forget if they started on 1/2 & 3/4 Tons in '62 or '63, my '62 1 Ton has them, but a much larger version.

Anyway you just look at the backing plate and if it has the oval hole at the bottom for a Brake Spoon to adjust it, instead of the older type adjusters with the two eccentrics, you have the latest and greatest, star wheel adjuster type that use V-8 car linings all the way around and car wheel cylinders a MAJOR improvement! [^]

These work so well you will not want to change them.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On my 62 Champ i installed 63 backing plates&brakes i also have chevy drums&had the hubs machined.The rear end is
          a chevy i als installed a hydravac.The truck stops great almost like a new car.

Lenny
          Atlanta Ga.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I believe you MAY have the new improved Bendix style Wagner Brakes, I always forget if they started on 1/2 & 3/4 Tons in '62 or '63, my '62 1 Ton has them, but a much larger version.

Rich - those "modern" brakes started with the 8E series Champs (1963).

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
            http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

O'Reillys and NAPA have the master cylinder, part# MC 2796. Also check out Truck Talk @http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/. Jim

Comment

Hey Diver - Welcome to the Forum! I also have a 62 Champ that came with the older type brakes. I updated the fronts with a dual system m/c and Jim Turner's disc set-up (www.turnerbrake.com) and love it. No booster was needed and stopping with hands off the steering wheel is great. Oh, I highly recommend you replumb the lines with new steel and also replace the hoses. Stopping is more important than going and you don't want to trust 47 year old plumbing.
                Keep us 'posted' on your progress!

"Diplomacy is the art of saying' nice doggie' until you can find a rock." Will Rodgers

Comment

62 brakes are adequate when well maintained and not asked to handle towing duties. The 63 trucks debuted with improved brakes - technically, they were the same brakes used on Stude V8 cars from '54-on - but differences in parts of the hardware (primarily the backing plate) keep car brakes from being transferred to truck spindles.
                  It's often suggested that one find later (8E series) truck brakes to transplant to earlier Stude half ton trucks, but there's hardly any 8Es left to scavenge these improved brakes from. The appeal is that such a conversion is a simple matter of nuts and bolts.
                  My truck is running the second set of Turner's truck brakes. The conversion has served me well since 1997.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

welcome....you may not know the answer to this question ...yet, but...what type of old car driver are you ? Or do you intend to be ? Again, you may not know the answer yet until behind the old wheel for some 1000's of miles.....Anyway, the truck and cars of that era were designed to ride and travel much different than today's vehicles and driver habit. Frankly stated: these vehicles don't and will not "handle" well by today's habits unless you chase the brakes, suspension, drivetrain (maybe) and a host of other things too....Personally, I don't mind taking an off-ramp at 30 mph instead of 50 mph. I keep at least a vehicle's distance between me and the car in front of me for every 10 mph I'm traveling. No problem going 65 instead of 85...If that's not your cup of tea (no judgement here), you need to envision a major revamping of the vehicle, or you're in for some unpleasant road travel......

Comment

I am currently driving a 55 Chevy half-ton shortbed panel truck, so am pretty familiar with 50's handling, altho it is upgraded with a disc front. The plan is to get the Champ ready, then either sell or store the Chev & drive the Champ. I am also interested in finding a 47 half-ton Stude truck or other year of that style. Any leads? Would Turner have all the rebuild parts I need for my drum brakes? Thanks for all the help. I am a Stude Club member. -Diver

Comment

quote:Originally posted by diver

Would Turner have all the rebuild parts I need for my drum brakes? Thanks for all the help. I am a Stude Club member. -Diver
                        I can't speak for my long time friend Jim Turner, but Jim mostly specializes in the Turner Disc. conversions and dual Master Cyl. Kits and has some other parts, but that is not his specialty.

For all parts currently available for Studebakers, you will find all of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

We have a link to it on the SDC main page under: "Valuable Links", subheading: "Other Studebaker Quick Links".

StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

How's the progress on that Champ? I've got one too and didn't change the brakes. Frankly, I'd have to agree that front disks would make life a little less... interesting, sometimes.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I put Turner disc brakes on my 62 Champ and it is the best thing I ever did. It stops like it has power brakes with very little effort. I highly recommend the switch. It is the best bang for a buck by far.

Buckeye Mel
                            Genoa, OH

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Hey Diver - Welcome to the Forum! I also have a 62 Champ that came with the older type brakes. I updated the fronts with a dual system m/c and Jim Turner's disc set-up (www.turnerbrake.com) and love it. No booster was needed and stopping with hands off the steering wheel is great. Oh, I highly recommend you replumb the lines with new steel and also replace the hoses. Stopping is more important than going and you don't want to trust 47 year old plumbing.
                              Keep us 'posted' on your progress!

"Diplomacy is the art of saying' nice doggie' until you can find a rock." Will Rodgers

Comment

Working...
                              X