Vibration damper hub removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration damper hub removal

Anybody know a trick for removing the vibration damoer hub fron the crankshaft of a 232 V-8?? I've got the puller on it but can't get it to budge. Thanks.

Normally they come off slicker than snot. I would need a pic. of where you are at in the process.

Comment

Joe,

Are you using an impact wrench on the puller? That's how I got the vibration damper off our 232 V8 when I needed to replace the rubber insulators and install longer bolts for an extra pulley.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
      Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

First, get all the pulleys and the steel disc out of the way- leaving only the hub and the bolts.
        Be sure to PROTECT the end of the crankshaft by using a hardened steel disc made for pullers. Most have a "tit" on one side to assure they center in the hole in the crank. Especially with a puller that has a built-in tapered end.
        NEVER push directly on the end of the crank.
        Always use a puller designed for (3) pulling points. (2)- just won't do it!

I don't like using an impact for removal. I have had some very tight hubs, that required my 3/4" drive breaker bar. This usually requires blocking the flywheel/torque converter with a large screwdriver/prybar... accessed by removing the starter.

You can use heat on the hub, from the outside. Heat only the flange (where the bolts go through)- the heat will transfer to the hub's sleeve in just a few minutes. It doesn't take much.. so you shouldn't damage to the seal.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
        Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Problem solved. I bought a better bolt type puller and used a longer socket handle......there was a fair amount of rust at the outer edge of the hub.

Thanks guys.

Joe

Comment

There is a special puller made JUST FOR these hubs. I believe they've been reproduced by some vendor of late. I think I bought one.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X