Avanti Window Winders(Manual)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Window Winders(Manual)

I approached this problem backward and did not accurately record where the bolt holes on the door were, prior to rebuilding the fiber glass. Therefore, I need to find someone who can provide some sort of cardboard pattern so that I can re-position the winder center arm bolts. Currently the windows work only with lots of assist while winding them up. Any help to smooth out the operation would be helpful

Tom Simpson
    1415 Kuhn Road
    Boiling Springs, PA
    717-243-4169

Someone needs to help this new forum member with his Avanti problem.
    This is what he emailed me, "Now does anybody have a pattern for the bolt locations on the window winder mechanism for the 1963 Avanti. I went about the job backwards and now I don't know the correct orientation or the center of the universe in the window winder game. These are manual windows on this car. At the moment they work barely with a lot of upward help." I directed him to the forum where I was sure he'd get some help!

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Tom,

email sent. Joe

Joseph R. Zeiger
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Hers's what I did. My Avanti has electric windows, and the area where the three bolts fasten the regulator to the door was cracked. After I repaired the "glass" I fabricated a piece of light steel to fit the "3 bolt" area and the vallies to the right and left. Make a backing plate to match the vallies. bolt into place. This provides a wider area of distribution for the "force" exerted by the regulator. In 30 pluse years, no further cracking.

Richard

Comment

If no one has provided you a template yet, my '63 Avanti doors are stripped of all trim in preparation for painting and I could probably provide what you need. Tom

Comment

Dear Tom Lewis
            Thanks for your reply. If you can make some sort of cardboard or heavy paper pattern of the bolt locations, I'd really appreciate the effort. I intend to use that pattern to fabricate an aluminum plate that fits in the recessed area so that the fiberglass is not so stressed. my car has manual windows, but I don't think the winder pattern should be different. If not too much tropuble please include the pattern of the door lock handle, that way there should be no doubt.

Thanks much and good luck with your project

Tom Simpson
            1415 Kuhn Road
            Boiling springs PA, 17007
            tel 717-243-4169 land
            tel 717-991-6336 cell

Comment

The template should be in the mail this afternoon. Tom

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 50starlite

Someone needs to help this new forum member with his Avanti problem.
                This is what he emailed me, "Now does anybody have a pattern for the bolt locations on the window winder mechanism for the 1963 Avanti. I went about the job backwards and now I don't know the correct orientation or the center of the universe in the window winder game. These are manual windows on this car. At the moment they work barely with a lot of upward help." I directed him to the forum where I was sure he'd get some help!

Dick
                Mountain Home, AR

WHAT A GREAT FORUM!

Dick
                Mountain Home, AR

Dick
                Mountain Home, AR
                http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Dear Tom Lewis:
                  A big thank you for the well prepared patterns you sent to me. The club may also need to know that it is very important to have the position of the center winder plate properly located. the big problem is that when anyone tries to fix the oversize holes that develop over the years they better be on the money or they have problems. I worried with these windows for about 15 years and the pattern along with some aluminum pattern plates fixed the problem in less than one day for each window.

Tom Simpson

Comment

Working...
                  X