Hood cable broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood cable broken

I went to open the hood of my 1951 Commander and the hood release cable broke! How do I get my hood open and where can I find a replacement cable? Thank you
    Dave
    1951 Commander
    1949 2R 1/2 ton Pickup[?]

There was a thread about this a few months back. You can probably find it with a search here. If I remember correctly it involves taking a long screwdriver and tripping the lever from underneath the shrouding.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...h-control.html

[img][img]
      Dwain G.
      "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Ok to all that helped me, I got the hood open now........where do I find a replacement cable?
        Dave

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldndragon

Ok to all that helped me, I got the hood open now........where do I find a replacement cable?
          Dave
          Checkout your local auto parts. Could be labeled control or maybe choke cable. I bought on for my 41 for about six bucks. Glad you got your hood open

Comment

Dave.
            Try SASCO in South Bend. I bought one for my '59 Lark in '07 & a friend of mine bought one for his '51 Champion. No guarantee that they are still in stock, but it's worth a try.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I think it's NLA. There are some around but you need to inquire, inquire, inquire.

I picked one off Stephen Allen's table at York in '07. His remark at the time was "Not many of those left."

Considering the popularity of the '51 models (all models and body styles should use the same cable) it's surprising repops aren't yet in the mix.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks to all who have helped. I did get a cable at the auto parts store as a temporary fix until I can find a replacement,vif thats possible. Ive tried SASCO and Studebaker parts NLA. I'll keep looking!
                Dave "The Stude Dude"
                Oregon City, OR
                1951 Commander
                1949 2R 1/2 ton Pickup

Comment

All this talk about broken hood release cables brings to mind: I walked into Quad Cities Midwest Corvette years ago for the purpose of hiring a fiber glass tech to install the N&A Avanti hinge re-enforcement pieces in my '63 Avanti. I watched the release of a Corvette hood with a broken cable. Out came the skill saw and cut the hood at both corners. It done the trick, now a hood repair was in order. Studebaker had the foresight to provide access holes to trip the latches if the cable broke...........

Richard

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Retired

Out came the skill saw and cut the hood at both corners.
                    [:0][:0][:0][V]

A good reason to go out and lube that cable every now and then!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard
                    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X