Hurst shifter follow up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurst shifter follow up

Had the 'glass floor plate out of my coupe today in preparation to modify the bellhousing mount (BTW - never try to change the bellhousing mount on a car equipped with a Hurst shifter without removing the fiberglass floor plate first. Don't ask me how I know this. But SASCO did still have them in stock...) Anyway I had bought what I believe is a shoebox Chev Hurst C/P shifter - this is the one with the C-shaped handle that is not removable like the other Hursts - at a swap meet because the shape of the handle appeared to be ideal for a bench seat car, and the price was right.

Well, the shape of the handle *is* ideal... puts the shift knob literally inches from the steering wheel. Unfortunately, it will not work in a Stude C-K. the handle hits the front edge of the hole in the floor, and don't even think about reinstalling the fiberglass plate. Too bad, because if it sat up an inch or an inch and a half higher, it might be perfect.

Just figured I'd post this in case someone else had the same idea. I'm back to the previous setup, which is the stock bench seat lever welded to a Hurst stub. Works OK but looks a little goofy because of the taller Hurst shifter, puts it about an inch higher from where it should be, but it works fine.

Oh, and by the way, once you get your Hurst shift rods adjusted, put some jam nuts on the ends of the rods. that way you can do stuff like this without losing your adjustment

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Had the 'glass floor plate out of my coupe today in preparation to modify the bellhousing mount (BTW - never try to change the bellhousing mount on a car equipped with a Hurst shifter without removing the fiberglass floor plate first. Don't ask me how I know this. But SASCO did still have them in stock...) Anyway I had bought what I believe is a shoebox Chev Hurst C/P shifter - this is the one with the C-shaped handle that is not removable like the other Hursts - at a swap meet because the shape of the handle appeared to be ideal for a bench seat car, and the price was right.

Well, the shape of the handle *is* ideal... puts the shift knob literally inches from the steering wheel. Unfortunately, it will not work in a Stude C-K. the handle hits the front edge of the hole in the floor, and don't even think about reinstalling the fiberglass plate. Too bad, because if it sat up an inch or an inch and a half higher, it might be perfect.

Just figured I'd post this in case someone else had the same idea. I'm back to the previous setup, which is the stock bench seat lever welded to a Hurst stub. Works OK but looks a little goofy because of the taller Hurst shifter, puts it about an inch higher from where it should be, but it works fine.

Oh, and by the way, once you get your Hurst shift rods adjusted, put some jam nuts on the ends of the rods. that way you can do stuff like this without losing your adjustment

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    I wonder if that fiberglass plate could be modified to use in my '56 sedan? Or maybe the Lark one? Got a stock number so that I could check with SASCO? I don't have a 60's part book . . . .

Comment

I suspect that the Lark plate would fit; the Hawk one fits my '55 perfectly. Apparently only the tunnel changed, the hump above the trans is the same size/shape as the later cars.

It's in the BODY parts book, but I don't have it on me...

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I suspect that the Lark plate would fit; the Hawk one fits my '55 perfectly. Apparently only the tunnel changed, the hump above the trans is the same size/shape as the later cars.

It's in the BODY parts book, but I don't have it on me...

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        Well, if anyone reading this has the BODY Parts book for the later Larks, I'd love to know the 4-speed fiberglass part number!

Comment

Allan.. I've got the fiberglass piece for a Lark. Want me to see if it'll fit in Dad's '56 Champion two door?

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Allan.. I've got the fiberglass piece for a Lark. Want me to see if it'll fit in Dad's '56 Champion two door?

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Well, how 'bout that! THANK YOU, buddy!

Comment

Alan; it took me 5 min. to pull it up on my slow 2000 computer, but here is the '62-'64 Lark part # 1343800 -$54.10 and '61-'64 Hawk 1339710 -$48.30 Ouch!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Alan, I'll try and get to the shop today and see about test fitting that piece in the '56. With all the ran we've had lately, I need some pontoons on the side of the '58!

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Okay Allan...

I test fitted the Lark fiberglass piece in my '58 Commander, and being it has bucket seats, it fit perfect. I tried it in the '56 Champion, but it WILL NOT work with that bench seat. (Won't even think about going up under the seat).

The trans hump LOOKS the same in both the '58 and '56, so the Lark piece should fit in your '56 without any trouble.

Hope this helps.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                  X