4 bbl intake and carb info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 bbl intake and carb info needed

I have a 4 bbl Studebaker intake manifold with a Rochester 4-Jet 4GC carb on it. The carb base is steel not aluminum. The carb studs are spaced approximately 4 1/4" x 5 5/8". The manifold does not have the coil mounting holes like my 60 Hawk's intake.

Is this enough info to tell me what I have?

BShaw, Webmaster

webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

I'm *guessing* that that is a WCFB manifold, and the carb is non-studebaker (I don't believe any Stude came from the factory with a non-Carter 4bbl.) I base this on my dusty mental data bank trying to tell me that a 4GC used the same base configuration as a WCFB, but don't hold me to that.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hi, Bob,

The Carter WCFB and Rochester 4GC had the same bolt pattern and both were widely used by GM and Packard in the mid-to-late '50s. The base is cast iron. For some reason, the Rochester was used on the larger GM and senior Packards, while the WCFB was used on Chevies, junior Packards, Studebakers and Mopars. Depending on which car it came off, your 4GC will work as well or better than a WCFB.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Bob, in the early years ( 55 and up)of 4 barrel carb availability the coil was mounted on the firewall hence the manifolds would not have been cast with a provision to mount the coil.

Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I kinda thought it was the same bolt pattern as the wcfb but I don't have that other intake at my current location. I'll clean 'em up and save 'em for the... here comes the promo...wait for it... Midwest Studebaker Only Swap Meet in Hudson, WI this September 19th, http://www.northstarwheel.com/studeswap.html

BShaw, Webmaster

webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
          Woodbury, Minnesota
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota
          1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
          "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Not sure about the wcfb but the Rochester is quite a bit taller than AFB or Holley. I rebuilt one here to try on my 56J(SBC)before I realized
            it wouldn't clear my hood with my intake bonnet installed. I gave it away to a friend. After one day we had to solder a hole in the
            primary float after it sank. Other than that he likes it. He said it gives noticeable low end increase as it is a small carb with better mileage
            than Holley it replaced.

Comment

Working...
            X