jahns pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jahns pistons

these pistons are flat top with full skirt. what is the max. over bore a street/strip engine will safely take? are the stock rods any good for this appl. also i have an early tp loader 4-speed with the old b/w bolt pattern an it came out of a 1964 galaxie with 390. what bell housing if any will mate this trans to the 289? hate to be a pain but i try to get as much info as i can before i start a project. thanks

The overbore limit depends on the year, and frankly the particular block, the rear two cylinders on the late '62 and on full-flow blocks sometimes have too much core shift for .060 to .093 (304.5 ci) but earlier blocks are usually fine, some people have done .100 or .125 with no problem. The safest is to ultrasound it to be sure.

You are getting into non-Studebaker territory with that top loader, Studebaker never used anything close to that so I am not sure, but if it is the standard old Ford bolt pattern it may bolt up, but for sure you will have to modify the input shaft or make an adapter, it will be to short.

Wasn't that one of those weird 3 speeds with Overdrive 4th. that was also used in Econolines?

You know your other "jahns pistons" post is right here on Pg. 1, it just dropped down because of no action and newer posts coming in, if you click "reply" or "update" on it you can continue it. You can even delete a post with the trash can icon.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As a cheap plug, if yall are interested in where the raggedy physical line might exist, you might wanna mosey over to the Racing Studebakers forum, they're contending with this issue at the very moment. Who said 362 CID in a Studebaker engine wasn't possible?

I'm looking at using some .060 in a '64 289. As much as .093 sounds intriguing, I'd like to have something in the event it needs to be rebored again.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
      [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I bought a used 259 that if I remember correctly was a 1955 or 56 block that was bored .125 over and had 292 Ford Jahns pistons in it. One of the pistons had failed and Jahns supplied me with a new one when they were still in Los Angeles. The block is long gone, but I still have the pistons. Bud

Comment

Bud--Do those pistons have offset pins, or are they centered?

Comment

quote:i have an early tp loader 4-speed with the old b/w bolt pattern an it came out of a 1964 galaxie with 390. what bell housing if any will mate this trans to the 289?
            Yes - The pre-'65.5 top loader will bolt to a post-'56 Studebaker V8 standard shift bellhousing (other than the truck 4-spd/5spd and the '61-62 T10)
            No,-It's not that easy, because the input shaft is too short to engage the Stude pilot bearing. An extended pilot bearing would have to be made and the clutch disc carefully selected to not interfere with that extended bearing.
            Maybe - you should consider selling the Ford and buying a Stude T10. The Ford usually sells for more than the Stude.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Bud--Do those pistons have offset pins, or are they centered?
              Are you saying there are Pistons that have the Pins offset in a inboard/outboard direction from the piston centerline? [:0] [:0]
              StudeRich

Comment

Jahns made pistons with an offset pin to lower noise from slap when cold. It is usually around .020" to the thrust side.

Comment

Ive got an old NOS set of Jahn's Desoto hemi pistons that are not offset.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Jahns made pistons with an offset pin to lower noise from slap when cold. It is usually around .020" to the thrust side.
                    That's amazing Alan, I thought about what you said here and realized that would be impossible, because four would have the pop-up (ramp) on the wrong side then, IF they were like all Stock Studebaker Pistons I have ever seen with all 8 being THE SAME! [:0]

So I looked at this set of pop-up Jahns, and sure enough there are four with the pop-up on the thrust side, and four with the pop-up on the T slotted side, Jahns do not have a "forward" arrow like some, so you have to figure it out.
                    The ramps would hit the flat side of the combustion chamber which is inboard, so the ramps would have to go over the valves and spark plug then, since you have to put the slots opposite the thrust side and it will be the LEFT on both banks, since the engine runs clockwise from the front. Does that make sense? [?]
                    I could not visually SEE the .020 offset, but I have no doubt it could be there, and opposite on four of them. [^]

This set has about half of the pop-up that is on the .060 set of Jahns that is in my running 299 engine with ported heads, they are 3/8", these are about 7/32nds. these may allow it to run on race gas 104 leaded, instead of Aviation 100-140 Octane! That would be a good thing, but I realize I need to know the cc's of those ported 537555 heads and final total chamber cc's to know if this is beyond reality or not, it may only run on Propane!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich

Comment

Or E-85

Comment

Buddymander, I'll have to look as the pistons are up in Colorado in storage. I do remember them as being popup pistons. I'm going up to Colorado in a couple of weeks and I'll check for pin offset on the pistons. Bud

Comment

Working...
                        X