6 cyl interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 cyl interchange

I have a 60 champ truck with a worn out engine and a rebuildt 6 cylinder from a 52 champ car. Can this engine be fitted to the truck without trouble? I'm thinking that the flywheel/starters might be a problem.
    Ken

Have the 52 starter rebushed and cleaned, use its flywheel. Six volt starters work well with 12 volt systems.

There might be a problem with the starter being on the drivers side, not normal in trucks.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 573 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

A '60 Champ could have a Champion or a Commander engine, as could the '52. Champ for Champ or Commander ofr Commander would be easiest, but either is possible. You'll need to make some swaps, possible oil pans, and probably bell housings.

quote:Originally posted by jd-stude

I have a 60 champ truck with a worn out engine and a rebuildt 6 cylinder from a 52 champ car. Can this engine be fitted to the truck without trouble? I'm thinking that the flywheel/starters might be a problem.
      Ken
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Both are Champ engines but I think the trucks use a heavier transmission and different bellhousing than the cars from which the 52 engine came from. I think the key to the swap is if the truck flywheel will bolt to the older six crankshaft. I won't know that for sure until I pull it out and try it.
        Ken

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jd-stude

Both are Champ engines but I think the trucks use a heavier transmission and different bellhousing than the cars from which the 52 engine came from. I think the key to the swap is if the truck flywheel will bolt to the older six crankshaft. I won't know that for sure until I pull it out and try it. Ken
          If you swap the bell housing, engine mount brackets, Transmission, oil pump and or pick-up pipe, and oil pan from the truck to the car block, it can be made to work, if those are not available or good, it will not work.
          That would have to be a very expensive, really GOOD 170 engine to go to all that work to end up with an 85 HP underpowered Cruiser, not hauler Truck! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X