• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbca96
    replied
    TKO

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=13734

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Leave a comment:

• Allan Songer
    replied
    All I know is that in digging through about 50 clutch shafts at Bill Oliver's and having IN MY HAND a complete '57 Golden Hawk set-up, there was not one single shaft that was even CLOSE to fitting--they were all too long or too short!! I was about to have one made, but Bob Helm came through with one a couple of weeks ago. NOS!

None of the T-10 tranny brackets would work. I don't think that any of the early Larks before the advent of hanging pedals ever had a T-10, but if they did I am sure those parts would probably work. Eventually I used the Golden Hawk tranny bracket, but I had to turn the spring steel part around and point it the other way. Luckily there were TWO sets of holes in the bracket and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!? the second set of holes were PERFECT with the spring steel turned around. I am sure this bracket was used for coupes AND sedans now!

There is a big dip in the stock shaft for using a T-85 in a sedan--it is for clearance of the exhaust if you have duals. If you run a single exhaust you can just cobble up a straight piece.

GOOD LUCK! It took me ONE FULL YEAR to find the correct shaft!!

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Alan likes the T5 conversion, but some of us like Studebaker parts and IMHO the T85 is the best all-around manual they ever used and I prefer it to the T10 for everyday driving.

quote:I'm still looking for a short-tail T85/OD BTW...
    Hi, Nate, I've still got both good cores and rebuilt short T85s.

thnx,

jack vines

PackardV8
    yeah, I keep hoping to find something at a swap and save the shipping (I am guessing not cheap.) where are you located?

I'd also need the shift rods - you don't happen to have those do you?

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Alan likes the T5 conversion, but some of us like Studebaker parts and IMHO the T85 is the best all-around manual they ever used and I prefer it to the T10 for everyday driving.

quote:I'm still looking for a short-tail T85/OD BTW...
    Hi, Nate, I've still got both good cores and rebuilt short T85s.

thnx,

jack vines

PackardV8

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    I said should not will. I can't see why anyone would go backwards in a swap. If you have a good working 4 speed why replace it unless you need a OD, then it would be easier to put in a S-10 T-5 5 speed.

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    I hope you're right, but ISTR that that's not what they used for "factory" T-85 installations.

I'm still looking for a short-tail T85/OD BTW...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Scott, That was Al Songer, he will probably chime in here with what he knows. The linkage that fits on the T-10 should bolt right up to the T-85 since it uses the same bolts on the D shaped side cover. The rest of the stuff I can't tell you since I don't have a parts book for the 57's and 58's.

Leave a comment:

• s2dwagon
    started a topic changing from T-10 to T-85

changing from T-10 to T-85

I am changing the tranny in my Conestoga with a 259 from a 61 T-10 to a T-85 from a Golden Hawk. I have read all of the threads concerning this change over and am not sure of what additional parts I may need. It seems to be confusing. I know I'll have to re-install the carrier bearing support to accomodate the 2 piece drive line. At the moment it has a one piece, slip yoke type. My questions are, will the clutch linkage that I am using for the T-10 work for the T-85? And, what bell housing and shift linkage do I need to use? I have a 155117 and a 1539082 bell housing. It sounded like Alan was having a hard time locating the correct shaft, etc.

Thanks,

Scott
Working...
X