Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Lark VI Coil Springs-Advice Needed ASAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Lark VI Coil Springs-Advice Needed ASAP!

I am working on a 1961 Lark VI 4 dr. sedan with the OHV-6 engine. The original coil springs have weakened considerably and the car's front end is lower than the rear! I need a qualified recommendation which springs to use as replacements. The stock one's once again? A heavier duty pair such as V8 or would those be too stiff &/or tall? The owner is a large statured, very "healthy" individual and as the car currently sits, the tires rub (yes, they are the correct size bias-plies) around most corners. Part numbers with your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Christof Kheim
    ---studesnbldr
    christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
    Christof Kheim
    ---studesnbldr
    ckheim@yahoo.com

I just put the standard duty 6 cylinder coil springs in my car this time last year. Thats enough to support me 220 lbs and 5 of my friends (all abouts 200 lbs each) and the weight of the car without any issues, tire rubbing etc. Me and the crew also went to a local county fair through some rough fields for parking without issue.I purchased mine from Studebaker International I cant remember the part number off the top of my head. I will say if the fronts are sagging the rears are most likely sagging also, I purchased rear springs std duty locally. Hopes this helps.

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Thanks for your input. The reason I asked was because several others locally have suggested standard duty V8 springs. Anyone with any thoughts on using them??

Christof Kheim
      ---studesnbldr
      Christof Kheim
      ---studesnbldr
      ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

Yes, Christof; they are way too heavy for a Six. You have to order Six cylinder springs from one of the spring manufacturers like Detroit Eaton, S.I. does not sell springs for a six.

I would also install new Gabriel Classic Gas Shocks while you are in there.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If vendors don't stock proper springs. These guys make them to your specs. http://www.coilsprings.com/

Comment

the heavy duty springs will be too stiff,

yes you can put them in there with no problem but your ride will be harsh, I made the same mistake many moons ago,as well as new shocks at the same time.

Heavy Duty if I recall was suited more for the V-8 Taxi's or v-8's in general.

Don't get caught up in the 'heavy duty' description, your 6 cyl springs were made appropriatly for that application.

ChopStu
            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I like HD springs for a tauter ride but I agree standard duty V8 springs won't work well - they're intended to carry more weight than the 6-cyl springs so the front end will sit too high after they are installed, then you'd have to cut them to get the front end back down and you'd end up with a punishingly stiff ride. I'd use either stock replacement or HD springs intended for a 6-cyl. application, your choice.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by leyrret

If vendors don't stock proper springs. These guys make them to your specs. http://www.coilsprings.com/
                YES, thanks for posting this Co. they are the BEST family run, caring Co. I know of, they can make any original or custom spring you could ever want, I had lost their info and could not find it because under their name: Spring Specialties all I got in searches were Chinese Co.'s [xx(]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. Based on what I've heard here I will give up the idea of using V8 coil springs. I will first check my stock the see if I have any standard or heavy duty coil springs [u]for the 6 cylinder passenger cars</u>. If not, I will contact www.coilsprings.com as an alternate source. Does anyone know if SASCO still has any stock?

[u]A second question:</u> Does anyone have an opinion on having rear leaf springs re-arched versus outright replacement with new/NOS ones?? There is a local source here in Denver to have them re-arched, but I'm not familiar with this process to know how effective this might be. I learned years ago that re-treaded tires are NOT the way to go, but this may be entirely different.

Christof Kheim
                  ---studesnbldr
                  Christof Kheim
                  ---studesnbldr
                  ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

...on re-arcing....you will get mixed opinions here, so expect mixed results when you have yours done...&lt;g&gt;

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studesnbldr

Thanks everyone for the input. Based on what I've heard here I will give up the idea of using V8 coil springs. I will first check my stock the see if I have any standard or heavy duty coil springs [u]for the 6 cylinder passenger cars</u>. If not, I will contact www.coilsprings.com as an alternate source. Does anyone know if SASCO still has any stock?

I have a set of NOS six-cylinder Lark station wagon springs. They may be the HD version. I'd have to check to find out.

quote:[u]A second question:</u> Does anyone have an opinion on having rear leaf springs re-arched versus outright replacement with new/NOS ones?? There is a local source here in Denver to have them re-arched, but I'm not familiar with this process to know how effective this might be. I learned years ago that re-treaded tires are NOT the way to go, but this may be entirely different.
                      I think I'd go for adding a leaf rather than re-arching springs.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Like Jack said about re-arching mixed results and opinions. As Paul suggests adding a leaf is about as good maybe better in my opinion. But, honestly in my opinion, unless the springs and shackles have been apart recently, its probably going to be a headache. I feel that re arching and/or adding a leaf is a band-aid on a bullet wound. The reapir may last years or it may last weeks, for all the work involved put new spring under it and they will last for years. Like I stated in my first post the coils I could not buy locally, however a near by spring shop had rear leafs in stock, I picked them up and installed them the same day.

Jon Krimm
                        1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude_s

If the owner really wants HD front springs then may I recommend part #526120 -Front HD-W body-61S, 62S, 63S.
                            AND, if that is what you want for the higher load, you just tell Spring Specialties that number, and they have the specs to make make them up for you. [^]
                            StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                            X