Over Head six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Head six

#S295224 Does anyone know what year this overhead six is.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp
    According to this but I'm probably wrong 1960

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    1957 Golden Hawk
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

I did not think they had overhead six's in 1960?

Comment

I checked my digital copy of the 1959 to 1964 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog and found the starting Serial number for 1963 OHV Sixes was S262201, so we know it is a '63 full-flow late type block, '64's are date coded (alpha-numeric) I.D.'d.

The reason Anne could not I.D. it from our chart is that 1960 is as new as it goes! I did not know that we never finished the Six cylinder engine I.D. chart. [:0]

I think we are guilty of not caring, because no one ever needs to know, a six, is a six, is a six! [}] Really they are mostly all the same, only one cubic inch size, per engine design for the most part!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The starting engine number for 1963 is S-261201.

R2Andy

I guess Rich can type faster than I can. LOL. Sad how the OHV 6 gets forgotten.

R2Andrea

Comment

Thank you very much. My dad plans on rebuilding this motor to put in his 52 Champion.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R2Andy

The starting engine number for 1963 is S-261201.R2Andy
              I guess Rich can type faster than I can. LOL. Sad how the OHV 6 gets forgotten.
              <s>Yeah, but I get two points for typing it CORRECTLY!!</s> [)]

Update: no, you are right, it is S261201
              StudeRich

Comment

Not according to what's printed in the '62-'64 Shop manual. Maybe there's a conversion error going from factory printed manuals to computer read discs?

R2Andy

Or perhaps there was a correction when the '59-'64 edition was released.
                R2Andrea

Comment

I am starting to get interested in the overhead six. I been toying with the idea of finding one to rebuild myself.

Comment

They're kinda cool little engines. Don't over heat 'em, don't lug 'em, and keep the valves adjusted properly and they're fine.

R2Andy
                    R2Andrea

Comment

I have a flat six in my 59, and I just love how smooth it runs

Comment

I had a buddy that drove a '60 Lark IV when we were in high school. I rebuilt the front suspension in shop class for him. I was getting ready to back it out of the building when the teacher walked up and started talking to me. The look on his face as I started pulling away was priceless, he had no idea that the car had been running during the whole conversation..

R2Andy
                        R2Andrea

Comment

[}] I've often wondered how long this OHV Six lasted:

In 1963, the Pastor at our church was driving his worn (for a 2-year-old car) 1961 Falcon 2-door station wagon. He had four younger kids and both he and his wife were heavy, so it was all the car could do to haul around the whole gang.

At age 17, I "counselled" him into trading it toward a new, Rose Mist sliding roof 1963 Studebaker Standard Wagonaire at Indianapolis' Snider Studebaker, where I hung out. The Standard was an OHV six with straight three-speed, no overdrive...in a sliding-roof Wagonaire!

We're talking a horsepower-per-pound ratio here that's almost a negative number.

He absolutely refused to downshift. He'd have that Wagonaire in third and crawl around corners at 10 MPH and expect the car to pick up and go...which it did, sort of (after all, I think it had a 4.10 rear axle).

His family and the car moved away when it was less than a year old and I never saw or heard from them again. I've often wondered how long that poor OHV six hauled around that heavy family of four in such an abused sliding-roof Wagonaire. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yikes, poor ENGINE!
                            That reminds me of that poster yesterday, that said he had a '60 Lark VI with Automatic, Power Steering AND Power Brakes OH MY GOSH! [xx(]
                            StudeRich

Comment

Jeez Bob, you couldn't have "counselled" a little harder and got him to pop for the R1? You could have justified it by pointing out that OD wasn't available. Poor, poor car.

R2Andy
                              R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                              X