Annoying whine in my Lark's cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying whine in my Lark's cooling system

Howdy fellow Stude nuts. I've got a 59 Lark VI HT automatic with PS & PB that's had a high pitched whine that I believe is coming from the cooling system. When I start the car, no whine, after it gets warmed up(once the thermostat opens up?)that darn whistle comes in. When I step on the throttle it goes away. When the car is coasting, stopped at a light or in park it's there. The noise first started when I replaced the hose from the water pump to the heater, the hose is a bit shorter now. It's not a big deal, just an annoyance, the car is running fine. I don't wanna give people waiting at the light the wrong impression.
    Thanx for your help.
    -Jsin

Have you checked all of you vacuum hoses. The whine could be from a vacuum leak that was bumped off when you changed the hose. Just a thought.

1963 Cruiser, 2-1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based Willamette
    Valley Oregon.
    1952 Ford F-1, 1977 Lincoln Continental (all works in progress)

Comment

I'll check the hoses and get back to you. Thanks for the response. I too live in the lovely Willamette Valley, P-town specifically. Just moved here from Seattle, haven't joined the local SDC yet.

Comment

It could be the Power Brake hose.

I guess you don't have to "soft pedal" that rig to keep from blowing away the other cars at the stoplights! Let em THINK it's Supercharged, they'll be the ones getting the speeding ticket! Lol!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My '58 has developed a whine as well... I think it's the water pump. I plan on replacing it in the AM. If it's not the WP, the only other thing that's belt driven is the generator. (Those are expensive... It costs me danged near $10.00 to buy a new generator).

It's a shame.. A car sits from 1974-2009, and after 1300 miles of driving in 2 months, the water pump starts whining... Shouldn't they last longer than that???

[)]

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Make sure the rad. cap is good. It might be steam escaping around the cap gasket making a noise. NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Thanks alot folx, I've been real busy on other projects. Sounds like I gotta lotta checkin' to do. I really appreciate the in put. For now it sounds super-charged, I'll get to the bottom of this, weather it's a hose thing or radiator cap issue or water pump that isn't more than 3 years or so.

See you on the 4th, I'll be on the road.

J*sin

Comment

Snug up any loose nuts you find on the manifolds.

[img][img]
                Dwain G.
                AL SORAN RACING

Comment

I snuggled up with a loose nut...now I'm stuck with her...

Comment

Empty the whine from your cooling system and use a water/antifreeze mix.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Empty the whine from your cooling system and use a water/antifreeze mix.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Ahh, but true vintage antifreeze uses alcohol. <G>

Jeff DeWitt
                      http://carolinastudes.net
                      Jeff DeWitt
                      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

The whine has been eliminated, thank you all so much! I wish all little noises were as easy to fix as this one was. I appreciate all the input from everyone but we do have a winner; Dwain G. you were spot on. I checked the manifold bolts and they were all about a half a turn loose. Now everything is running better and much quieter. Hooray!! Thanx cyber Stude-buddies!!!
                        -J*sin

Comment

make sure the clamps aren't cracked or the whine will keep coming back... I ended up using some solid stainless clamps sold by Lionel Stone. None of the originals I had would hold the factory specified torque without cracking.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                          X