No announcement yet.

Vin numbers on a stude.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The frame number has been legible on the three frames I have checked. AS stated previously, rear lip bottom of rear crossmember, try cleaning with light sandpaper.

Comment

I just got a 1942 M16 1 1/2 ton farm truck from my father. The old title issued in Illinois in 1951 lists a factory number and an engine number. The factory number is 1716 4066 and the engine no. is 3M 4097. I want to register this truck in Colorado and I'm wondering what would be considered the VIN for registering today. Engine no.s are no longer used, but in 1942 that may have been all they had. Is someone familiar with these? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roger W. List
      Proud Studebaker Owner
      Roger W. List
      Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Roger L.

I just got a 1942 M16 1 1/2 ton farm truck from my father. The old title issued in Illinois in 1951 lists a factory number and an engine number. The factory number is 1716 4066 and the engine no. is 3M 4097. I want to register this truck in Colorado and I'm wondering what would be considered the VIN for registering today. Engine no.s are no longer used, but in 1942 that may have been all they had. Is someone familiar with these? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roger W. List
        Proud Studebaker Owner
        Generally, the VIN for registration purposes today, is the SERIAL NUMBER. On your truck, this can be found on the data plate which should be on the driver's side A pillar about the middle of the windshield. On later M's, it would be on the driver's side seat riser.

(BTW, I don't think there was a 1942 M. It may be titled as such, however)

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for quick reply. Based on info I found last night, M 16's were apparently made from 1941 to 1948. In all honesty I can't find much on anything older than about 1946. Dad always said this truck was a 1942 and it is titled as a 1942. I wonder if any of the numbers on the old title would pin it down further. I don't have the truck available right now as I'm in Colorado and the truck is in Illinois. I'm trying to get it registered in Colorado so that I can bring it out here sometime this year. I do know that it has a commander engine and it originally had poured babbitt rod bearings. I don't know if that really tells too much about it, but it might be a help to further identify it. Thanks.

Roger W. List
          Proud Studebaker Owner
          Roger W. List
          Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Based on info I found last night, M 16's were apparently made from 1941 to 1948.
            Correct...but like all other civilian vehicles, not during the war years (42-44)

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

thanks, so i have the vin # and the secret # is long gone.[8D]

Alex Nelsen ,the youngest Studebaker nut in the world!
              1954 Champion Coupe
              Lizella, GA
              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
              Lizella, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Based on info I found last night, M 16's were apparently made from 1941 to 1948.
                Correct...but like all other civilian vehicles, not during the war years (42-44)

Dick Steinkamp
                I believe that 1942 M5 and M16 models were made until about May of 1942.
                Use the truck Serial Number for a VIN.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There is no such thing as a secret serial number. It's the frame number which is tranposed to the metal plate on the door post and it becomes the SERIAL NO.

Richard

Comment

Well if it is not a secret, why would only the law enforcement officials have the location list for all cars made in the U.S. in order to verify the obvious serial number plate?

I do get what you are saying though, it is THE Serial number, the FIRST serial number, applied before the body is installed and the Serial number plate was made.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Why wouldn't the police have a location list. What better way can they have to verify a change of serial number on a car in question.

Now the question is: (A) Was the location list available as a subscriber to a service for same ? if so (B) How did the providing service develope such a list?

Was there then and now a federal law that requires the manufacture to provide such information to the DOT, FBI or some regulating agency who in turn publishes and distributes the listing?

Richard

Comment

I had the same problem with my '51 Vin. Couldn't read it. The CHP who specializes in Vin Verification told me that in the fifties they just used the engine number for verifying purposes. But I posted too late it seems. You already have the Vin and that's good. The DMV had the engine number on my 1979 title, but said the title was too old, so I needed another Vin Verification just to be well I can't swear, but you get my drift. The DMV has never been friendly to me.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

Working...
                        X