• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Re: Generators

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

When Studebaker went from six volts to 12 volts, they also went from the old wide-section V-belt to a narrow one. So any generator you find with a narrow-sheave pulley is likely 12 volts. And, most likely, any one you find with a wide-sheave pulley will be 6 volts. Unless you happened to get hold of a generator that somebody changed pulleys on.

If a generator is good, you should be able to get it to "motor." That means that it will spin rapidly like an electric motor if you connect it to a battery. Depending on the construction of the generator, it will motor if you connect the jumper cables to field and to case, or to "arm" and case, or "arm + field" and case. The right connection should make it spin rapidly; a wrong connection will either cause to spin very slowly or not at all, but you won't hurt anything as long as you hold it on only a second or two.

If the generator motors, and it matches the regulator by brand, i.e. Autolite to Autolite, or Delco to Delco, it should work once installed, but you may have to polarize it (flash the field) before it will kick in. Consult the shop manual, or a Chilton's or Motor's manual of the era.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gordon, I have a good many books, but this forum is like a lazy man's cliff notes. I've had some of these problems in the past but fortunately, not frequently enough to get "eyes closed" good at it. In 1969 the generator in my '63 sprint failed. I mentioned to my girl friend's father (my future Father-in-law) that I might repair it myself. He basically told me I was not smart enough to do it. So, I proceeded to install a new armature, field coils, brushes, etc. I remember paying $38 for the parts. Back then, the cost for a rebuilt generator with core exchange...$18! So, I proved I was smart enough to repair the generator. As to "Dollars and cents...another matter.
      When I sold the car two years later, the generator was still working fine.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John,Sent you a PM.Thanks,Steve
        sigpic

Comment

the ones with tags, I have the numbers listed on my web site. also for delcos black = 6V, red = 12V and I use Gord's test as well for basic functionality.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks N8N, I noticed one is a presto lite, one has a 6v Chrysler tag, but most are delco and auto-lite. Now that they have my attention (out of necessity) I'll start checking them out. I have already disturbed a bunch of creepy crawling critters just digging them up.If Black Widows and spider webs were valuable, I'd be a rich man!

John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

OK, just to up-date for any of you who may be working on a generator problem. Using the tips Gordon gave for "Motoring" the generator, I chose a couple of the six volts that looked the closest to the one on my car. One was an Auto-Lite like the one on the car, the other similar, but with the Chrysler tag. Applying voltage to the larger post on the Auto-Lite resulted in good rotation. On the smaller post, very slow rotation. On the Chrysler generator, the rotation was opposite. This confuses me because both were 6 volt positive ground systems. So, now I am into my vintage auto encyclopedia studying generators. Of course, the phrase "too much information" comes to mind. It shows "standard duty" and "heavy duty". It also uses terms like "shunt type"..."Interpole and Bucking Field Generators." For a "backyard" mechanic with a psychology degree, this is a challenge. I am leaning toward "Standard" duty and "Heavy" duty shunt type, with the difference in whether the armature or field brushes are insulated or grounded being the reason the two generators rotate in opposite direction on the different contact poles. So...to heck with all this...I think I'll stick the Auto-Lite on the car and see if it works!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had a similar problem with by 12v 59 Hawk. Everything look fine, generator motored good, regulator looked fine, but same symtoms as you mentioned. I bought a new voltage regulator at NAPA, itstalled it and all is well. Not sure what the real problem was, but it was in the regulator i.e., the new regulator fixed it.

good luck

Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                64 GT Hawk
                Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk

Comment

Just thought I would provide a "THE END" to this post. So many of the post subjects just seem to drift off with a whimper. I chose one of my spare generators from one of the "Man Cave" dungeons, evicted a couple of spiders, lubricated it, tested it, a little rattle can paint, and installed it. Polarized it and fired up the coupe. Works great (with a qualified...so far!). The one I removed has a rear bearing that squeals just by hand turning, so it will be off to the re-builder. Thanks for the input folks. THE END.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                  X