Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

A VICTORY AND A MYSTERY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A VICTORY AND A MYSTERY

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John, some distributor caps have a spring-loaded carbon brush as the center contact in the distributor cap; others have a fixed contact. The former are designed to work with a rotor which has a smooth flat surface on top; the latter work with a rotor which has its upper contact formed in a little spring leaf.

Point is: ONE of the two has to have a spring-loaded contact, which allows for a little axial movement of the rotor on the distributor shaft. Sounds to me like you have got a mis-match between rotor and cap.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks for the tip Gordon. This rotor does have a spring like contact at the center pivot point. As far as the cap... I have not taken the time to examine just how far the carbon contact sticks out or if it is also spring loaded. I have had those things to fall out before. I did notice that some of my swap meet purchased caps(not in their oridinal boxes) have center contacts that stick out at different lengths. Otherwise the caps look the same. In all these years, I have just never encountered this situation. Live and learn.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
      X