X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N8N
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by buddymander

What years had the Delco window distributor? I think that's what I want for my Silverhawk since I have an electronic changeover for one of those and I can change the advance curve easily.
    I think only '61 Lark. '61 Hawk did not use it as they were still using the old SW Pulse-Drive tach and SW didn't have a sending unit for the window dist. Since the Lark did not have a tach option no problem there. '62 everything went Autolite/Prestolite.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• buddymander
    replied
    How much should I expect to pay for a delco from a non-vendor?

Leave a comment:

• 60Lark
    replied
    My 60 Lark has the later style Delco distributer with the window. I have a good early style Delco (no window) that was in my 56 Power Hawk. I replaced it with a new Mallory uni-light distributer.

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    56 Power Hawk
    Phil Hendrickson
    Arnold, Missouri

Leave a comment:

• buddymander
    replied
    What years had the Delco window distributor? I think that's what I want for my Silverhawk since I have an electronic changeover for one of those and I can change the advance curve easily.

Leave a comment:

• jeryst
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Does your distributor have the stock sending unit in it? if so it would have the double clip system used with that sender, I have lots of distributors but not sure if I have one with the double length clip set up, E-mail me at candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net or call me a 510-266-2522 Bob Peterson
    Hi Bob. I got the distributor today, and I just want to say that I am very happy with it. It appears to be exactly what I needed. I will be doing a little detailing, replacing the points/condensor, and hopefully, will be installing it in my car within the next day or two.
    Jerry

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied

Does your distributor have the stock sending unit in it? if so it would have the double clip system used with that sender, I have lots of distributors but not sure if I have one with the double length clip set up, E-mail me at candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net or call me a 510-266-2522 Bob Peterson

Leave a comment:

• jeryst
    replied
    Which distributor should I be looking for? Does it have to be out of a 57 GH, or will other years/models work?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    OK, it's a Standard Lark/Hawk 1962 to 1964 Prestolite single point Dist.
    Someone may want to use it to make their car correct.

Leave a comment:

• jeryst
    replied
    It does not have dual points. It has a tag on it that says Prestolite, and some numbers, but they are hard to read. I will have to take a photo.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Check to see if your Prestolite is a Dual Point unit as used in Jet Thrust and Avanti Engines, if so it should be easy to work out a trade for a Early Delco, they are the only ones that accept the Tach. drive, so no, it could not have came with that Prestolite, those were not used (Mfg.) until 1962.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    According to a very neat old "Automotive encyclopedia" book I have, all 1957 Studebaker V8's had Delco. The only autolite was 6 cyl. This book's last copyright date is 1960.
    "In 1961, the brand name "Autolite" was sold to Ford, and the company name was changed to Prestolite." (The preceding sentence was from a Prestolite website)Either way, it looks like you have a replacement distributor. Some of the more knowledgeable Studebaker techie's should be able to answer your other questions. I have never owned one of the older style tachometers.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975

Leave a comment:

• jeryst
    started a topic 57 GH distributor question

57 GH distributor question

I bought points and rotor for my 57 GH (289), and once I got my distributor cap off, I noticed that the points and rotor are different. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the distributor is a Prestolite. I thought that the 57 GH came with a Delco distributor, so, even though this is the original motor, I am assuming that someone replaced the stock distributor. Am I correct, or did some 57 GH actually come with a Prestolite?

Will a stock 57 GH tach sending unit work on this distributor?

Should I just try to find a stock Delco distributor? If so, does anyone have the correct distributor for sale, or trade?
Working...
X