Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

57 GH distributor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 GH distributor question

I bought points and rotor for my 57 GH (289), and once I got my distributor cap off, I noticed that the points and rotor are different. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the distributor is a Prestolite. I thought that the 57 GH came with a Delco distributor, so, even though this is the original motor, I am assuming that someone replaced the stock distributor. Am I correct, or did some 57 GH actually come with a Prestolite?

Will a stock 57 GH tach sending unit work on this distributor?

Should I just try to find a stock Delco distributor? If so, does anyone have the correct distributor for sale, or trade?

According to a very neat old "Automotive encyclopedia" book I have, all 1957 Studebaker V8's had Delco. The only autolite was 6 cyl. This book's last copyright date is 1960.
    "In 1961, the brand name "Autolite" was sold to Ford, and the company name was changed to Prestolite." (The preceding sentence was from a Prestolite website)Either way, it looks like you have a replacement distributor. Some of the more knowledgeable Studebaker techie's should be able to answer your other questions. I have never owned one of the older style tachometers.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Check to see if your Prestolite is a Dual Point unit as used in Jet Thrust and Avanti Engines, if so it should be easy to work out a trade for a Early Delco, they are the only ones that accept the Tach. drive, so no, it could not have came with that Prestolite, those were not used (Mfg.) until 1962.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It does not have dual points. It has a tag on it that says Prestolite, and some numbers, but they are hard to read. I will have to take a photo.

Comment

OK, it's a Standard Lark/Hawk 1962 to 1964 Prestolite single point Dist.
          Someone may want to use it to make their car correct.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Which distributor should I be looking for? Does it have to be out of a 57 GH, or will other years/models work?

Comment

Does your distributor have the stock sending unit in it? if so it would have the double clip system used with that sender, I have lots of distributors but not sure if I have one with the double length clip set up, E-mail me at candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net or call me a 510-266-2522 Bob Peterson
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Does your distributor have the stock sending unit in it? if so it would have the double clip system used with that sender, I have lots of distributors but not sure if I have one with the double length clip set up, E-mail me at candbstudebakers@sbcglobal.net or call me a 510-266-2522 Bob Peterson
                Hi Bob. I got the distributor today, and I just want to say that I am very happy with it. It appears to be exactly what I needed. I will be doing a little detailing, replacing the points/condensor, and hopefully, will be installing it in my car within the next day or two.
                Jerry

Comment

What years had the Delco window distributor? I think that's what I want for my Silverhawk since I have an electronic changeover for one of those and I can change the advance curve easily.

Comment

My 60 Lark has the later style Delco distributer with the window. I have a good early style Delco (no window) that was in my 56 Power Hawk. I replaced it with a new Mallory uni-light distributer.

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    56 Power Hawk
                    Phil Hendrickson
                    Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                    60 Lark
                    56 Power Hawk
                    Phil Hendrickson
                    Arnold, Missouri

Comment

How much should I expect to pay for a delco from a non-vendor?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

What years had the Delco window distributor? I think that's what I want for my Silverhawk since I have an electronic changeover for one of those and I can change the advance curve easily.
                        I think only '61 Lark. '61 Hawk did not use it as they were still using the old SW Pulse-Drive tach and SW didn't have a sending unit for the window dist. Since the Lark did not have a tach option no problem there. '62 everything went Autolite/Prestolite.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                        X