Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Power Stronger Than Yellow Power...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Power Stronger Than Yellow Power...

Blew a caliper piston seal a few weeks ago...
    Had to clean off the inside of the offended wheel and tire..
    Used this 'Purple Power' stuff.

Awesome stuff... Never bothered the BC/CC at all...
    (But it did take the black coating off the whitewalls that "weren't" there
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I've used that stuff and it is good for cleaning. Joe got a gallon from a damaged case they recieved and couldn't sell. I used it to clean oil residue off of some valve covers and it worked well without harming the paint.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Great stuff! I have used it quiet a bit over the years. For degreasing I usually put it in a spray bottle and pre-spray what I am cleaning. Then either hit it with a pressure washer or steam cleaner. Unless they have changed the formula recently, be careful around aluminum. If you have old paint with even slight oxidation, it can streak it. There is a wholesale Automotive supplier in my area that sells another product for aluminum and mag wheels, but the name of it escapes me for now. I have used it for my motorcycle. The Purple Power is very aggressive on oil and grease. Just read the label and take a permanent marker and label any spray bottles you put this stuff in.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ok, I use this stuff A LOT! One thing, if you buy it from Lowes in full strength and soak you parts in it over night, not only will it remove the grease but it will strip the entire part bare, Rust and ALL! However because it is water based, when you rinse it off you will start getting flash rust. So it is important to rinse, blow dry the part with a compressor or such then immeadiately prime the parts.
        So just be carefull that stuff is powerful in full strength.

Comment

Good idea to wear gloves when you use it. It'll suck the oils out of your hands!
          Great stuff. Walmark sells it in 2.5 gallon jugs.

Comment

Anybody got an MSDS sheet on that stuff? Maybe it's just caustic soda solution with some dye in it.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I used it to soak the oil and grease off of the valvetrain parts I'm working, as well as degrease the top of the heads. I just have to take them out of the tub and wipe them down or they will flash rust. And yes, it's a Walmart product.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Castrol makes a similar product called Super Clean. It's a caustic. Since oil is an acid, it has the ability to cut oil. Good stuff.

Best regards,

Paul
                Best regards,

Paul

Comment

Here you go the MSDS http://www.clean-rite.com/documents/PurplepowerMSDS.pdf
                  This stuff will streak/fade old enamel just ask my former boss or his ORANGE 1066 International tractor[B)]

Jon Krimm
                  1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

If you can find it locally citra-sol works better than purple power.Plus its all natural.We use it at work to clean lots of stuff and love it.Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

According to the MSDS sheet, the only hazardous component is ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, which is an organic solvent. But MSDS does not necessarily list ALL the constituents, just those that are deemed hazardous.

Sounds like a product that would worth trying. I'll have to see if Walmart carries it in Canada.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

According to the MSDS sheet, the only hazardous component is ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, which is an organic solvent. But MSDS does not necessarily list ALL the constituents, just those that are deemed hazardous.

Sounds like a product that would worth trying. I'll have to see if Walmart carries it in Canada.

A friend of mine used to own a small marina, and he swore by the stuff. I used it a couple of times on boat grime, and on the interior, and it worked great. I always used it diluted, though.

Comment

Working...
                        X