The choke. I had an extra plastic cover and spring and replaced the
    Broken bits. Now, the car starts perfectly and runs great until it is
    at operating temp . I guessed where to set the choke, but now need
    To know do I lean it or make it richer to keep it running after it has
    Run for 10 to 15 min?

Thanks
    BIll G

Owner of Carbon Foot Print, formally known as the HFH

Is it blowing smoke and eventually choking to a stop after it warms up? If so, turn it a notch or two lean. Alternately, just pull the air cleaner while the engine is hot/running and turn the choke cap lean until the choke plate is fully open.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

The choke should be fully open when the engine is at operating temperature. When the engine is cold the choke should firmly close. When the engine is cold, loosen the screws that hold the plastic cover on the thermostatic coil. Open the throttle to about half open and hold it there (screwdriver somewhere in the linkage?). Now turn the thermostat housing until the choke closes completely, tighten screws, (remove screwdriver), start engine. Adjust the choke a little one way or the other to get easy starting and good driveability.
      Maybe part of the linkage got bent and isn't allowing the choke to open fully.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Is it blowing smoke and eventually choking to a stop after it warms up? If so, turn it a notch or two lean. Alternately, just pull the air cleaner while the engine is hot/running and turn the choke cap lean until the choke plate is fully open.

nate
        No smoke, just starts to idle rough and farts, then turns off. I can re-start with no effort.

BG

Comment

that *could* be the choke, or it could just be an idle mixture set a little too rich. Check the choke first, then let it warm up and set the idle mixture with the engine at full temp

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

Maybe part of the linkage got bent and isn't allowing the choke to open fully.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            No, no bent linkage, just a busticated plastic cover. I will try your method in the morning. I appreciate the help.
            BG

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

that *could* be the choke, or it could just be an idle mixture set a little too rich. Check the choke first, then let it warm up and set the idle mixture with the engine at full temp
              Good catch, the engine does smell like it is burning a very rich mixture. First time in it's history. Wonder if it's hitting the concrete river jarred something internal. Worse comes to worse I can have one of the estra ones cleaned and rebuilt.

BG

Comment

The float level could be off now.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

The float level could be off now.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                  "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                  If adjusting the choke don't help I will take it in for a rebuild. NOW
                  ... your shiftless remark. Back in the '80's I was working with NYS DOT on making a diorama of a famous school bus/frieght train wreck in Congers NY. This was for Operation LifeSaver a DOT rolling exhibit to educate drivers about stopping to look both ways at RR crossings.

After measuring and taking pictures of the site we met with a DOT inspector and had a few beers at a local watering hole. During the conversation he kept mentioning a guy as "Hydramatic Harry". After a while I asked why they called him Hydramatic Harry? The answer was, " he was a shiftless bast***d".

Comment

You should poke the bloke who broke your choke.

Comment

Working...
                    X