Engine painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine painting

I just got my block back and now I need to paint it. Is there anything that I can prime it with ( i.e. POR ) so that paint won't crack because of the heat?

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

The block should not get hot enough to even enamel to fail! Just clean it real well with the old style Dawn dish washing soap, let it dry and use a good engine enaqmel of your choice. The parts of the heads and intake that burn because of the heat will do so irrespective of the choise of finish.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by J. D. ENGLER

I just got my block back and now I need to paint it. Is there anything that I can prime it with ( i.e. POR ) so that paint won't crack because of the heat?

Packardbakerly,
      J.D.
      Can I reccomend Eastwoods engine paint? I just did the Hawks engine while the radiator was out for repair. You have two choices with their paint. One is to brush it on straight from the can. The other is to add their hardener which make the gloss even deeper.

You can either spray it on, or brush. I brushed and to me it came out great. If you use their hardener do it outside with ventilation as it has isocyanates in the hardener. One issue is that even with the hardener it takes about two days to dry. you can also use Bill Hirsch's paint, but he requires you not to start the engine for 2 weeks after painting.

All the above is based on the fact that nobody carries RED for the Packard engines among the Studebaker vendors, either in a quart can or spray cans.

BG

Owner of Carbon Foot Print, formally known as the HFH

Comment

the factory painted the insides of the block with Glyptal, FWIW. Most engines that I've seen the insides of had the Glyptal coating still in good shape.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I don't know what color you need but Summit, AZ and Advance usually have good prices and a nice choice of colors. They also have a type of paint that they sell for disc brake calipers and brake drums. It is up there in the same degree range as engine block heat. Nice tuner colors. I used their clear for the polished upper and lower tanks on my radiator and time tests reveal no problems. I have used gas grill paint on occasion. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

quote:[i]
            Can I reccomend Eastwoods engine paint?
            Here is the engine with the Eastwood paint and after a few hours of driving.

Just haveto clean off the dust off some of the black bits to make it look better.

BG

Owner of Carbon Foot Print, formally known as the HFH

Comment

That looks really good Bill. jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Yea, it looks great there Bill. I'll look into that eastwood engine paint. By the way, the packard hawk has a silver 289 with a supercharger, not the packard 352.
                thanks again

Packardbakerly,
                J.D.
                sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                J.D.

Comment

Working...
                X