Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake upgrade (1952 to 54-56)

Hi:
    I'm upgrading the brakes on a 52 Commander to the 54-66 style. On the later brakes, the parking brake cables are removed from the backing plate by removing a couple of bolts and a small "retainer" on the back side (toward the differential) of the backing plate. The equivalent to the "retainer" on the 52 seems to be welded to the backing plate. What's the trick to get the cable out of the plate?

Thanks
    Howard

1953 Commander Starliner
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

I meant to say 52 to 54-66

Thanks
    Howard
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

IIRC..(don't do much early-stuff)... the cable itself has a "stop" on it to keep it from being pulled out of the backing plate. You must take the cable off the lever, and then pull it further INTO the brake drum until you can see the stop. Remove it, and the cable will pull out of the backing plate

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Ray:
        Thanks very much. Can the cable be pulled far enough without disconnecting it at the "yoke"?

Howard

53 Commander Starliner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by brngarage

Ray:
          Thanks very much. Can the cable be pulled far enough without disconnecting it at the "yoke"?
          I don't "think" so... But, you don't have to totally remove the yoke. Just loosen it and you should be able to slip the cable over/out of the yoke.

Ray

Ray

Comment

Thanks again Ray. I'll give it a try later today. By the way, since the cable retaining method is different (on the 52) from 53 and later, would you suggest I use the rear parking brake cable from the later car?

Howard
            53 Commander Starliner

Comment

Hi Howard,

I would use the later cable, but be aware that there's different length cables for different models of (year and/or body style)to consider as well.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by brngarage

Thanks again Ray. I'll give it a try later today. By the way, since the cable retaining method is different (on the 52) from 53 and later, would you suggest I use the rear parking brake cable from the later car?
                Can I assume you are switching the backing plates also? I think you'll have to... with the difference between the backing plates. You "might" be able to use the original cable- but I kinda doubt it.
                While you have the plates off.. Check that rear axle endplay. New seals and bearings would be prudent

Ray

Ray

Comment

I have a 1951 commander and have thought about upgrades for the brakes. What all is involved with putting the later style brakes on the early V-8's?

Comment

Bolts and nuts! That's it!

Edit: OH - and possibly the E-brake considerations you're reading about here.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the info! Yes, I'm changing everything from the axle tube out; backing plates, wheel cylinders, springs, shoes, hold down hardware and of course drums. I'll take a good look at axle endplay.

Thanks again!

Howard
                      53 Commander Starliner

Comment

I put '61 Brakes on my '51 Commander and, other than fiddling with the parking brake retainer, it's a no-brainer.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ma1951

I have a 1951 commander and have thought about upgrades for the brakes. What all is involved with putting the later style brakes on the early V-8's?
                          Mike.. James and I put front brakes from a '63 V8 Lark on Ole Bullet a while back. We used the backing plates, shoes and hardware, and drums from the later car.

If you decide to do the swap, I'm sure we have enough parts around to get ya goin'. (Or, stoppin', rather.)

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I have a 1950 and the front suspension is different than 1951-66. Can you still make the swap with 54-66 brakes? Could you (should you) swap out the front brakes only?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                            Holdrege NE
                            John
                            1950 Champion
                            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                            Holdrege NE

Comment

[quote]Could you (should you) swap out the front brakes only?[quote/]

I would not try mixing brake types, the '54 and on Bendix Style Wagner brakes are so much more efficient, that the early ones will not be up to the challenge of matching them, and you will have lock-up on only one end of the car, not good!

The suspension should not affect the Brakes, as long as the spindle and wheel bearing is the same. A minor problem will be, you will need 5 lug (5 on 4 1/2" pattern) wheels to fit the '54 drums. While you are at it, I would use 11" Ft./10" Rr. Commander instead of Champion drums. [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X