No announcement yet.

New to Studes, have a few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Studes, have a few questions...

Hi all, my name is Gary, and I just found my first Studebaker. It is a 49 Champion Starlight (8G)6cyl with 3 on the tree w/OD, the car is virtually unmolested with the exception of repair items and the ravages of mother nature and time. I picked it up reasonably in the Cincinnati area, it's even a driver. I giggled like a school girl the first few times driving it.[:I]
    My first question is what do all the switches on the dash operate? My assumption is the W is for wipers, and the H is for the horn, the one next to those i believe is for the overdrive(any kind of ID is gone), there is a silver one marked lights(headlights?...), now just under the clock and a little to the right(facing the floor) is a silver toggle, is it stock or if not any ideas what it is for?
    Secondly, what items should I be looking at keeping a regular stock of for known failures with these cars?(points, fuel pumps, etc...) I have pictures of these items, but I am refraining post putting them up as they are very large files. Maybe someone can help cut them down to size for posting.

I am not looking to make this a fully restored car as it does have its share of rot(welcome to the RUSTBELT!) But do look to make it a wonderful driver with a little bit of my own style. I thank you in advance for any help or guidance you folks can give me! Happy motoring!!!
    Gary

Welcome, and it looks like you are already having some fun!

You should join the Studebaker Drivers Club and check out the advertisers in the Turning Wheels magazine for parts supply.

Your car looks straight enough that I would almost be tempted to dip it in soda water and use electrolytic rust removal. Yeah, I know you couldn't reall dip a whole - sure would be nice if you could http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoep...lyticrust.html

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Gary, Welcome to the forum. Like Thomas said, join the Studebaker Drivers Club. Be patient and take your time getting to know your car. The H on your dash is the hood release. Learn the proper use of the overdrive cable before playing with it too much. There are certain times you can do harm to your transmission if you operate it improperly. The toggle switch on your dash is for the very neat map light. Be very careful with powering up the car using the old wires. You certainly wouldn't want to fry your new found toy just as you are just starting to play. As you begin to get to know fellow club members, you will be amazed at what is available for what most think is a very unusual and rare make of car. The club's "Turning Wheels" magazine is unsurpassed in the vintage car world! With just a little effort, you can locate an owners manual, shop manual, body, and chassis manual for your car. Armed with these, you will be able to do your own work and evaluate properly the work you hire others to do. Good luck, and use this forum to share your progress with the rest of us.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Welcome to another Gary on this Forum. There are already a few of us.
        Join the Studebaker Drivers Club. You can join from this web site for $19.95 for your first year.
        You should get an owner's manual, shop manual and parts book for your car.
        My In-Laws first car and first new car was a 1949 Champion.
        Good luck!

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

W=wipers H=heat L=lights The OD is a handle, usually chrome, found to the bottom left side of the dash. Pull out for standard or conventional drive, pushed in for OD. You must know "how to" use the OD correctly for ease and wear on the unit(s). The silver toggle switch under the dash could be an OD solenoid override switch installed -non-stock.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! The car is a blast as it is, but I am looking forward to making it more reliable and fun... Just to clarify what I am looking at when talking about the switches you can find a picture at http://www.geocities.com/slick.willi/49studedash.jpg
            Again thanks for all the input, and i will give you updates as I go.
            Gary

Comment

These may help...

http://carnut.com/photo/list/list.html (Photos)

http://www.studebakervendors.com/ (vendors)

BRAD

Photos are for future reference and not necessarily of a dash.

Comment

Mater, that link doesn't work for me.
                W = wipers
                H = hood release
                L = lights
                F = fog lites
                A = air - heater blower
                D = defroster for windshield

The horn should be operated by the chrome wing & badge in the center of the steering wheel.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It appears that Gary needs a Dash view pic. All I see here on car pics of '49's is a modified Hot Rod Commander Coupe and a Champion 4dr. both OUTSIDE views. Does anyone have a dash view of their '47-'49 Champion...Anne?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Gary,

The 49 champion is my favorite car. Hope you enjoy.

Comment

Gary,
                      Get all the manuals on CD-Rom...cheap. It includes the owner's manual. Even if you make alterations you'll need their information.

And, as a personal favor, could you resize your photo for those of us on dial-up?[)]

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

That original "patina" is grrrrrrrrrreat !!

I have a '47 in original patina. I sanded it with 2000 paper and then polished it. I used 0000 steel wool on the chrome and stainless with water and metal polish.

You car will turn some heads at cruise nights and shows.

BRAD

Comment

I hate to correct the one and only Mr. Biggs, BUT... on the knobs W=water (naturally). That opens the "climatizer" valve for the heater core. The rest of his list is correct. My 1950 Champion also has a knob labeled "IL" for interior lighting.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                          Holdrege NE
                          John
                          1950 Champion
                          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                          Holdrege NE

Comment

Lothar, So, if I turn the "W" switch on my 1948 champion and my wipers come on, does that mean it is because there is "water" on my windshield? The "W" for those of us who happen to own the '47 through '49 champions, is for the windshields. The heater controls are at the center of the dash.

John Clary
                            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                            SDC member since 1975
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes, for 1950, they changed. The put the wiper control on top of the dash without anything but a little twist knob. They changed the W to mean Water Control - for the Climatizer system.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1963 Cruiser
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X