Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 Sensor?

As God as my witness, I did not know Studebaker's had O2 sensors:

Maybe the seller will list his side-marker lights for Studebaker also.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Shoot, Studebaker didn't even have 01 sensors
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

As God as my witness, I did not know Studebaker's had O2 sensors:
      Mark Anderson

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
      Brooklet, Georgia
      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
      '61 Hawk (project)
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This finally proves that Studebaker was well ahead of their time!

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Shoot, Studebaker didn't even have 01 sensors
          Jeff[8D]
          Sure they did, but they were called curb feelers!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of a sticker I saw in a bar back in the late seventies. It said ( Remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty) And there was no computers on cars or 0/2 sensors.

Comment

I honestly believe I could've gotten the concept of engine computers for vehicles if I'd been presented with such back in the 50s or 60s. What I would have had trouble believing is that you'd be able to hold said device in your hand![:0]

Does anyone know about when Detroit started to think about electronic controls for engines and transmissions? I'm not talking about transistorized ignition or such - but true electronic control. And note that I said "think" - not "use".

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My Conestoga's gonna have two......if I ever get the d*mn 299 finished and installed! One in each exhaust pipe.

No better way to run a oxygen meter.

Mike

Comment

I believe Chrysler was the first to use "fuzzy" logic technology on an automatic transmission in 1990. The way I understand it, fuzzy logic is when the onboard computer stores past instances of your driving habits (mph, rpm, throttle position, shift points) and then uses that information to determine when and how much oil pressure to apply to the clutches and so on during a shift. If you're grandma with a light throttle foot, the tranmission isn't going to exert more hydraulic pressure than is needed to save wear and tear on seals and such. If you're lead footed, it's going to know to apply more pressure which will reduce the chance of clutch slippage and the resulting overheated oil, hot and worn clutch plates. It was supposedly the first transmission (maybe mass produced) that used electric soleniods instead of hydraulic pressure to operate valves in the tranny.

You have to realize that in the 50's an onboard computer would have been house sized like old grandaddy Sperry Univac (nothing like a Bendix Hydrovac!) and you would have needed a locomotive to tote it around. Something like that would have been a real pain to parallel park!

Comment

I had a 86 Chevy Sprint that had electronic solinoids in the trans.for shifting. I also beleive Cadilac had a computeized fuel injection in 76?

Comment

Detroit began to think about computers and onboard 'solid state electronice' in about '69. This was due in part to the environmental movement and the smog laws appearing in California. At first the Smog equipment was an aftermarket addition.

The new federal laws required that these components be installed in the cars in the early '70s. So a lot of the nonsense that's on the cars now, was in the planning stages just after Studebaker Motors division died.

It could very well be, that the new safety laws that were being discussed, and the fracas surrounding the Corvair, scared the upper management of the conglomerate that Studebaker now belonged to. They were just more data that convinced the management that the company simply wasn't a viable concern any more.

I would love to see the minutes from those board meetings that were held from '62 to '64.

Lotsa Larks!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Not Detroit, but my '71 Porsche 914 has what I guess is probably one of the first true engine management "computers." It's an ANALOG computer. Anyone aware of a fully electronic FI earlier than the Bosch D-jet? Wikipedia says that Bendix was working on EFI as early as a planned 1957 intro, but the D-jet is the earliest one I'm aware of that actually made it to market. I think it was first used on some late 60's VWs.

I'm not sure what the first EFI with feedback control was, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

chrysler had "electronic" fuel inj in 58

Comment

Nate,

Sometime recently I saw a article about that '57 ish Mopar effort. They had pix of a big finned Chysler with EFI on it. The controller for the EFI was analog and looked much like a early transistor radio in construction. Few tech details, but I think the "computer" only did the fuel injection.

This page has a small blurb about it but no detail at all:

Wish I could recall what mag that was in, its not like I read a lot of them!

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Can I convert my Lark to use this??? Would I be the coolest or what??!!![8D]

Still working to restore my 62 Lark in South Bend, Indiana

Comment

Working...
                              X