Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

02 Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prager, it's funny you should mention that, I've tossed around the idea of adapting a throttle body injection system to a Stude. But I guess that grandious idea needs to stay on the back shelf until I get more pressing matters finished. Like that 32" tv setting on the kitchen table with the innerds pulled out. However, that doesn't mean I won't wake up in the middle of the night thinking about map sensors, throttle position sensors or other such minutia. When I SHOULD be sleeping!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I honestly believe I could've gotten the concept of engine computers for vehicles if I'd been presented with such back in the 50s or 60s. What I would have had trouble believing is that you'd be able to hold said device in your hand![:0]

Does anyone know about when Detroit started to think about electronic controls for engines and transmissions? I'm not talking about transistorized ignition or such - but true electronic control. And note that I said "think" - not "use".

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

Biggs, I seem to remember an article in TW about the development of the Bendix fuel injection. Some Bendix engineers built an analog EFI system and put it on a '53 (?) Buick, in about 1955 or thereabouts. The system was all hollow state (vacuum tubes). Apparently they drove the car to Florida on the injection system.

They couldn't interest any manufacturers in using it, and eventually the prototype went to Germany, and became the design inspiration for the Bosch D-jetronic. I think the D-jetronic hit the streets in 1967 in a VW type III.

Some of the "facts" above may be wrong due to faulty memory on my part.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I've posted these pics before but they're still cool. This is the Bendix unit used by Chrysler. The car is a '58 DeSoto Adventurer and it was documented to have left the plant with this unit (and replaced shortly afterward with carbs [)])...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Gary, in 1953 Armstrong Siddeley in UK fitted electric solenoids for gear shifting in their pre-selector gear box. Being a pre-selector box, it wouldn't shift by itself, it needed a foot on the "gear engagement pedal" after the pre-selection had been done.
          /H

Comment

Not many cars turn my head anymore but that 58 conv. FI Desoto does. Is it yours or someone you know?? If it ever goes up for sale contact me I am interested. Thanks

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
            Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

Not many cars turn my head anymore but that 58 conv. FI Desoto does. Is it yours or someone you know?? If it ever goes up for sale contact me I am interested. Thanks
              'Just noticed this thread. A thorough report and photos of that 1958 Adventurer convertible appeared in the June 2005 Cars & Parts magazine. It's a remarkable story of how the owner, an electrical enginner, found the car with the Bendix Electrojector still intact and made it work! [:0] BP.
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
              X